Thursday, August 28, 2014

My frames have arrived - I'm waxing tonight!

Sitting on my floor, in masses of bubble wrap and cling film, are seven bespoke tulip wood frames and mounts for the drawing for my upcoming exhibition. Yesterday they left Picture Frames of Shaftesbury and this morning they arrived, via ParcelForce, at my home at 11.30am.  Thanks to both companies for getting the delivery to me quickly!

Which means I'll be having a quiet wax this evening as the wood is unfinished and I like to wax my own frames. I was going to put a wash on them but I really like the tulip wood colour so I think I'll leave them "as is"

Two of the seven tulip wood bespoke frames with hayseed mounts by Pictureframes.co.uk

I went for the tulip wood because it was the most neutral colour and also because that then makes it most receptive to a thin paint finish if that's what I decided to go for. I'm quite partial to a thin paint being rubbed into wood to provide a hint of colour. I'm also very partial to very neutral tones of paint with names like "bone" and "corset"!

I chose to use the Hayseed mount which again is a very neutral colour - neither stark white nor cream, more along the lines of an understated ivory with laid finish (like Ingres paper).

Renaissance wax tubI'll be writing more about the frames once they're unpacked, the images have been inserted and the D rings attached!

You can find out more about the wax I'll be using on the wood frames this evening on Making A Mark Reviews - see Product Review - Renaissance micro-crystalline wax polish.
Summary: A refined wax polish designed and formulated by the British Museum for the long term conservation and protection of museum exhibits. This product is now a universally respected standard conservation material because of its high quality and wide scope for use.

Other posts about frames and framing


Read more about frames and framing in the following posts on this blog

4 comments:

  1. Oh you're braver than me. I would never have the patience to do all that. I'm sure it saves on framing costs though.

    Do any exhibitions have restrictions on 'out of the box' framing as opposed to frame shop framing? I know some here frown on frames that are not from a professional framer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally the main restrictions are on cheap and/or metal and clik frames - basically the ones which you can't screw into to clamp to a wall.

    My frames and mats are bespoke which in theory means I'm just cutting the hinging tape and inserting the images and that's it!

    The aim is for a lower expletive number this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. You say that you are preparing the frames for your exhibition - when and where does your exhibition take place

    ReplyDelete
  4. The exhibition is the Florum exhibition - it comprises invited botanical artists and floral painters

    see http://www.florum.co.uk/exhibition.html

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.