I made that mistake.
I just hope I've got everything written down as I found the whole process totally confusing.
A custom URL is a short, easy-to-remember web address that links directly to your profile or page.
The story so far
- Google seems to be doing an awful lot of updates all at once.
- Late tonight (here in London) it started to send out emails about claiming your own customised URLs.
- I ALWAYS make sure I claim 'names' associated with me (eg like "KatherineTyrrell" !) quickly so I wanted to make sure I got it done rather than forgetting about it in the morning
- it's a lot more confusing than they make out - so much so I didn't think I could even begin to explain it because it's late at night
- return to the first sentence of this blog post! Leave yourself a big note of what needs doing tomorrow instead!
What I can remember!
I don't guarantee that all of this is accurate or complete - but this is what I can remember about the process
- If you're eligible for a customised Google+ URL you will be sent an email
- To be eligible you need to have the following:
- A Google+ account or Page which is 30+ days old
- a photo for the site (but note that my photo for my Making A Mark site is the avatar not a photo of me)
- have 10+ followers
- You have to agree to the Terms of Service relating to Google+ - which is very obviously targeted at weeding out spammers and unsavoury material/behaviour
- To claim the customised URL you have to supply your mobile number for a validation check. (It seems as if there is going to be some sort of limit introduced on the number of accounts which can be associated with one number)
- There seems to be some sort of suggestion that they might start charging for customised URLs in the future. I'd say this would be commercial suicide if Facebook continues to be free.
- There's a complete mess associated with getting a non-gobbledygook email address associated with the Google+ PAGE. That bit really needs to be made a lot simpler and more transparent.
- I'm still not sure why I was setting a password for my Page or setting up a new email account for it!
As always I'd recommend you record what you;re doing as you do it so you can make sense of it later. I've got a page of notes but I seemed to end up in a loop at one point with a huge number of tabs open trying to make sense of the Page bit.
At the end of this post are links to more information and advice about customised Google+ URLs
Where you can find me on Google+
My Katherine Tyrrell Google+ account
- This is the equivalent of my Facebook Account - parts are protected and parts are public. This is now https://plus.google.com/+KatherineTyrrell/
Artist and writer - or is that writer and artist? Anyway I write about art and create websites to share info about art!
Author of Making A Mark - rated #3 in the top 25 art blogs in the UK and somewhere in the top 20 in the world.
See the side column of any of my blogs for details of how to contact me
On Blogger since December 2005
|The view at the top of my Katherine Tyrrell Google+ account|
This is the view from the Tate Modern end of the Millennium Bridge across the Thames
My PUBLIC Making A Mark Google + Page
- This is equivalent to my Making A Mark Facebook page is now https://plus.google.com/+MakingamarkCoUk/
Making A Mark @ Google+ is about sharing all the updates from my activities on various sites in one place. So that includes posts from my art blogs, photos I've taken at exhibitions, information about art and artists from my information websites.
|The view at the top of my Making A Mark Google+ Page|
This is the view of Charing Cross Bridge from the room Monet had in the Savoy Hotel
Links to more information about customised URLs for Google+
These are links to pages which say a bit more about customised URLs
- Google+ Help - Getting Started with Google+ Custom URLs
- Google+ Help - Set up a password for your page
- Plus all the rest of the Google+ help pages Help
- The Verge - Google+ allowing more users to claim custom URLs this week
- The NextWeb - Google+ starts offering custom URLs to accounts that are 30+ days old, have 10+ followers and a profile photo
- Gizmodo Australia - Google+ Allows Custom Profile URLs Now
Get started with Google+ pages
Google+ Page notification settings
Understanding Google+ Dashboard for pages
Local Google+ Pages
Owners and managers on Google+ Pages
Link to your website
Promote your Google+ Page
Privacy controls for your Google+ Page
Google+ Direct Connect
Transfer ownership of your page
Google+ Pages on mobile
Enabling Google+ related pages widget in Gmail
Over to you!
- Have you received an email?
- What do you think of the suggested URL?
- Are you going to claim a customised URL?