[UPDATE 22 January 2016: Finally the 'share' button has returned to Facebook Pages - nearly two weeks after it disappeared. Seems like a long time to me for something that ought to be fairly straightforward to fix. Did it take Facebook this long to notice - despite all the feedback?]
This makes it virtually impossible (as in 'very difficult and longwinded') to share anything from one Page to another.
At the beginning I thought I must have done something really, really awful and incurred the wrath of Facebook. Not that it had told me I done anything wrong but I couldn't think of any other explanation. There again I couldn't think of anything I'd done wrong either!
So I sat and looked at posts on museum pages and exhibitions that I wanted to share - and I couldn't.
At the beginning of the week I looked to see if anybody else had the same experience and couldn't find anything.
Turns out that a lot of people probably thought the same as me and just sat tight and waited to see what happened.
After very nearly a week, they are now all over Facebook complaining about what has happened and how long it is taking to produce a fix. Some of them have even taken to direct messaging Mark Zuckerberg!
The conclusion that many are coming to is that this is Facebook's way of extracting money from people running Pages and/or that it is connected to the recent introduction of Facebook Business Manager. Personally I think a lot of businesses may start pulling their Facebook advertising in the near future if people can't share items on their Pages easily to other Pages! (Why would you advertise on a platform that you can't trust to perform properly i.e. share easily)
The thing is that many pages are community oriented pages - they're not Business pages. I don't make any money from any of my three Facebook Pages - that's not what they're about!
I think Facebook might just have come up with a reason for many people to become more active on Twitter and embracing Instagram!
PS The consensus of opinion re Facebook Business Manager is "do not touch with a bargepole" - people are having all sorts of problems with access to their accounts.
Below are the key points of what has happened and two possible work arounds.
- The 'share' button - to the right of 'like' and 'comment' on very many Facebook Pages has disappeared. If it hasn't happened to you yet sit tight - it will in all probability as some people with several pages have reported it happening over time
- If you have a Page you can hope others who also have a Page will share your post - but this will NOT happen unless they know the workarounds - or until Facebook fixes this problem.
To date the only thing I have seen is the following
|This is the post which has generated the most comments |
and an early response from the Facebook Help Team but nothing since
|an option to share via your personal account makes sharing very, very longwinded|
Below are two possible "work arounds" for the problem, however neither is as simple or used as much as the very easy click of a share button!
Share from your own account
To do this you need to do the following
- spot the thing you want to share in the newsfeed of your page
- make a note of the name of the page
- go to your personal account
- put the name of the page in the search box at the top - this should bring you that page
- you should see the share button because it's not missing in the personal account
- the next bit is complicated if you've never done it before:
- click the 'share' button
- now click the plain 'share' (NOT the share with friends - which will share it to your account timeline)
- now click share on your timeline
- next select "share on a page you manage"
- next select which Page you manage that you want to share it to - and click and you'll get the option to share it to that page with a covering message from you
How longwinded is that compared to clicking the "share" button on a Facebook Page?
How many people are not going to have their content shared as much - because people don't know how to do this?
Share through a different process
This one is nonsensical but it works (although it didn't earlier in the week). This is what you have to do:
- Operate in Page persona
- Click on the drop down triangle in the top right and you'll see a drop down menu like the one in the image below
- click "more options" and this will change to read 'Embed" - click "embed" and you will see a view like the one below - (the code at the top allows you to embed the Facebook post in a blog page - but this is a side issue)
- You don't want to embed the page - you want to share it - so click the "share" button which has appeared at the bottom right of the page
- you will then see a normal share page - with space for you to add a comment. Write your comment and share the photo - and it will appear on your Facebook Page
Again - a very contorted, complicated way of sharing a Page item to your Page.
The major problem is that none of this will happen unless people know the way to share posts to Pages. Hence this blog post!
Facebook appears to be unable to comprehend that people want to split their interests in Pages between their accounts and their Pages which represent very specific interests. We compartmentalise our lives and we need to be able to do this on Facebook too. (As in I want to be able to read my completely separate newsfeeds via my mobile feed as well!)