Friday, September 06, 2013

Who Painted This? #43

Who painted this? #43
Sorry this is late. I know how keenly some of you wait for this weekly challenge!

I'd never seen this painting before and you might have some difficulty tracking it down. However after last week's I'm sure some of you will rise to the challenge!

It all depends on whether or not you recognise the style, think about the dates - and have been building up a series of links to possible sources.....

How to participate in "Who painted this? #41"


PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog
  • if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know

Who Painted This #42 - The Answer

Add caption


Title of the ar
twork: Torre de los Picos / Los Picos Tower The Tower of the Seven Peaks Torre de los siete picos. La Alhambra, Granada.
Name of the artist who created this artwork: JoaquĆ­n Sorolla
Date it was created: 1910
Media used: Oil on canvas 81.5 cm x 106
Where it lives now: Museo Sorolla, Madrid

This painting focuses on a view of the outer fortifications of the Alhrambra.  The the Tower of the Seven Peaks is painted from Mihrab, The Captive Tower.  (The link is to a photo of the same scene today)

I used a number of courses to build up a picture of this painting. However, the sources I found for some of the details of the paintings are in unwieldy sites with images which are far too big - hence no links from here!

The image on Wikipedia has been overhyped with colour.  Hence I've toned it down and muted it.  There are some online images of it in a frame hanging in an exhibition - and it looks much nicer in those!

There was an exhibition of paintings of the Alhambra and Granada by Sorolla in 2011-12 and I'd have loved to have seen it!


Who guessed correct?

Who painted this #42? Congratulations to John O'Grady who was first with the name of the artist and ALL the other available details. (Nicolas Borderies actually supplied the name of the artist first - but failed to supply any other details)

It was great to see a bunch of new names getting the right answers this week. Others who got all the correct answers were:
  • Debra Keirce - who commented on how Sorolla painted white with lots of colours
  • Barbara Jackson - who has stuided how Sorolla used light and has done lesson plans based on his work.
  • Alyson Champ - whose husband helped (Let's hear it for the hubbies!)
  • Angelique - who commented that she loved Sorolla's paintings as they are a bridge between impressionism and realism with beautiful light.
However it completely stumped two of the regulars who provide answers for these challenges - so if you didn't get you were in very good company!

If you'd like to study how people get the correct answer try studying past challenges which are listed in the Page Who painted this? - at the the top of the Page. Since of the requirements is to say how you found it, you can see the various ways people get to the answer.

Just for the record - anybody who leaves a comment on the page which lists all the "who painted this?" rather than the specific blog post is not counted.  You have been warned!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,
    For this week who painted this? #43, it's a painting by Vincent Van Gogh called View of Paris from Vincent's Room in the rue Lepic painted in 1887.
    Dimensions are 46cm x 38cm oil on canvas. It resides at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.
    I know this painting and recognised Van Gogh paint marks and Paris's rooftops so I googled van gogh paintings of Paris roof tops.
    Kind regards,
    John O'Grady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artist... Vincent Van Gogh
    Title...View of Paris from Vincent`s room in the Rue Lepic
    Medium...Oil on canvas
    Date....Spring 1887
    Where it is...Van Gogh Museum ,Amsterdam
    How I found it ...I thought it was Paris so googled Paris rooftops, saw a similar piece by Henri Martin on a site selling canvas prints ,looked at what else they were selling of Paris and found the image . Then got all the details on Wikimedia Commons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got lucky today on the search.

    View of Paris from Vincent's Room in the Rue Lepic

    Vincent van Gogh

    1887

    oil on canvas

    Could not find the dimensions anywhere

    Lives in The Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the mention! I'm just excited that I actually got the answer right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the paint strokes that gave me the clue. I'd never seen it before. But it's 'The View of Paris from Vincent's Room in the Rue Lepic'. It was painted by Vincent van Gogh in 1887 -- oil on canvas 46 x 38 cms. And it can be found in the van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. Rue Lepic is the steep road in Montmartre that winds up towards the Sacre Coeur. Vincent and his brother lived there in No.54 for a couple of years from 1886.

    David Hawson.
    davidhawson.com

    PS I do enjoy your blog. Wish I'd got the last 'who painted this'. Wonderful artist. Am off to see the Museo Sorolla and my new grandson in Madrid next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artist Vincent van Gogh
    Year 1887
    Type Oil on canvas
    Location Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam

    I found this by googling Seurat, French, houses, painting, it came up under images tho is not by Seurat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Van Gogh!!! View of Paris from his room at rue lepic in 1887 in oils. At the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. I recognised the style right away because he's one of my absolute favourite artists, but didn't recognise this painting - thought it looked like paris though. So searched google for 'van gogh view of paris' and this popped up on wikipedia. Am I allowed to do that? (So pleased to have actually identified the artist right away as I never usually do!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vincent Van Gogh
    View of Paris from Vincent's Room
    in the Rue Lepic

    1887

    oil on canvas

    Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam

    The short blue straight lines in the middle,right of the painting was the give away.....classic Van Gogh lines filled with tension.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katherine,

    Title of the artwork: View from Theo’s apartment or View from Vincent's Window (Rue Lepic)
    Name of the artist: Vincent van Gogh
    Date it was created: March 1887 - April 1887
    Media used: Oil on canvas
    Where it lives now: Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
    The style is unmistakeable (but this might be a lack of knowledge). I found the image in a collection of Van Gogh's works (http://www.pubhist.com/person/62/vincent-van-gogh) and Google art project. PubHist.com has a similar view painted oil on cardboard.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. View of Paris from Vincent's Room in the Rue Lepic by Vincent Vangogh. It was painted in the Spring of 1888 and it is Oil on cardboard. It currently resides in Zurich at the Galerie Bruno Bischofberger. How I found this information was at first when I looked at the painting I figured it was Van Gogh. But then I thought maybe you were tricking us and it wasn't. So I put in a search for images "buildings that look like van gogh style" then I found the image on the "Wiki paintings" site. I was going to use their information but I decided that now that I knew who the artist was.. I would double check. Went to "Web Art Gallery" Then it was confirmed. So I had to figure out where it was next... I googled "on loan View of Paris from Vincent's Room in the Rue Lepic" and it took me to The Vincent Gallery online. I looked around for the painting and they gave me different information. But I figured they would know more so I was going to go with what they say.. I am glad that I did this because I found some more Van gogh paintings that I have never seen! THANK YOU for the fun challenge! Even if I didn't get it right.. I did get something out of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I saw this I immediately thought of Van Gogh, something about the style, the kind of nervous drawing with colour. Right now I do not have the time to search further ( have to work...)but will try to find out more later. Thank you for these challenges- great way to learn more art history!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an oil painting by Vincent Van Gogh called View of Paris from Vincent's room in the Rue Lepic, painted in 1887, located at the Vincent Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.

    I did not think i woud ever fine this one. On a whim I checked Van Gogh and cityscapes. Quelle surprise! So interesting to see the diversity of Van Gogh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I got it right! Pity I do not have time for research, working ful time and leaving soon for a botanical art course. Good luck to all who tries this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guess my post got loss in the post box in hell again and I had a nice interesting link to a blog where I found the answer :(

    Haven't had time to do #44 this weekend. Hope to have more time next week.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.