Which is why the Making A Mark Poll for February 2012 focuses on How do you respond to comments on your blog?
I've seen the topic discussed a number of times in the last six years on various blogs - mainly in response to the problem of the antagonistic commenter. I endeavoured to head off this particular problem right back at the beginning of this blog with the introduction of my Comments Policy in 2006.
This was then followed by Notes on blogging etiquette for artists in 2008.
Both can be found in my "For Your Information" section in the column. They both guide the tenor of my response to the jolly nice people who read this blog - and the queer fish who sometimes pop up out of the blue! For example, if they offend against the rules of my comments policy then they don't get published - period.
However I have a confession to make!
My actual response to comments which are left and published is generally very much determined by how much spare time I have and what time of day I'm reading and moderating the comments. I'm much more well disposed to the ones left overnight which I read while eating my breakfast when compared to those which arrive when I'm very busy. It's not that I like the latter any less - it's much more to do with how many minutes there are in a day!
So this is my Poll. It's multi-option - so tick all those that apply to you. I know I use a variety of responses.
How do you respond to comments on your blog?
- I respond to every comment
- One response to all comments
- One response to similar comments
- I respond if I have the time
- Respond on commenter's blog
- No response unless good point
- No response unless question asked
- Provide answers to questions via email
- I don't usually respond
- I never respond to comments
Do please feel free to comment on:
- your preference for leaving comments
- your preference for how other people should leave comments
- what's the best way of keeping track of what people say and/or how they respond
- where you've seen a good discussion of this topic.
Deadline for responses: The poll closes early on 29th February and the analysis of results will be posted later the same day.
You can read the Poll results for January's blog here - What makes you leave an artist's website? POLL RESULTS