Northern Print is the centre for contemporary printmaking in the North East. They have initiated the Northern Print Biennale in partnership with culture 10 to be the first major project concentrated on printmaking in the UK for 20 years. The aim is to reward and promote excellence through showcasing the very best in new British and international printmaking through an extensive programme of activities.I don't know anything about this and am only going off the flyer I've got and the website of Parker Harris who are adminstering the call for entries.
Parker Harris website/ Norther Print Biennale
Call For Entries
Full information is available if you download the Call for Entries Leaflet
The deadline for applications is Friday 24 April 2009.
To enter artists are asked to submit the following:
- Up to 10 images or documentation of their recent work, or a series or sequence of works that encounters print; digital images (300dpi jpg per image or max 4mb) or photographs (maximum size A3)
- A supporting CV (maximum two sides of A4)
- Artist’s statement (max 300 words) explaining how your practice is informed by printmaking.
- A completed entry form and entry fee of £20 or €30 per artist.
- online, click the Enter Online > link on the Parker Harris website.
- by post to Parker Harris, PO Box 279, Esher, Surrey KT10 8YZ
- in person on Friday 24 April 2009 11am – 5pm at Northern Print, Stepney Bank, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2NP
- by email (please contact Parker Harris in advance)
The 2009 Print Awards - Details of Prizes
There's a very extensive range of prizes detailed in the Call For Entries leaflet. These include:
- £5000 Northern Print Award - A cash prize awarded to one artist.
- Friends of the Laing Art Gallery Purchase Prize
- V&A Print Prize (V&A Website Feature)
- Nexus Art on Transport Commission Prize - Production of a selected artist’s work commissioned for display on the concourse wall (dimensions 2.5m x 10m ) at Byker Metro Station from 26 June to 18 September. The commission includes a fee of £2000 & travel/accommodation expenses up to £1000. For further information about Art on Transport visit www.nexus.org.uk
- Northern Print International Residency Prize - This is a short residency open to non-UK based artists.
- Glasgow Print Studio and WASPS Residency Prize
- The Solution Group Website Design Prize
From the open submission applications the panel will select approximately 50 artists. Following the first stage selection process, all
artists will be notified by Tuesday 5 May 2009. The artists selected for final exhibition will be notified by Friday 8 May 2009.
Details of selectors are provided in the Call for Entries. Here are the best website links I could find:
- Stephen Chambers RA - artist and printmaker
- Kip Gresham - printmaker, publisher and artist
- Gill Saunders - Senior Curator (Prints) Word & Image Department, V&A (This is an article by her)
The Newcastle Print Biennale is a long-overdue opportunity to showcase and celebrate the energy, innovation and skill evident in much contemporary print-making. As a print curator with a particular interest in work which pushes the boundaries of what ‘print’ is and can be, I am delighted to be one of the selectors for the inaugural exhibition.Exhibitions
Gill Saunders, Senior Print Curator at the V&A
Works selected for exhibition will be shown at one of the following galleries:
- Hatton Gallery, 26 June – 15 August 2009 (The Quadrangle, University of Newcastle, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear NE1 7RU)
- Laing Art Gallery, 4 July – 4 October 2009 (New Bridge Street, Newcastle Upon TyneTyne and Wear NE1 8AG)
- Northern Print, 26 June – 4 October 2009 (Stepney Bank, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2NP)