Thursday, March 23, 2006

Tulips with red stripes - a work in progress


Regular readers of this journal will have worked out by now that I just love tulips! I'm trying to do as many as I can right now before they stop being available - and last night I started a new work.

I've no idea what these are called but they're daffodil yellow parrot tulips with red stripes. The red is strong but not dark (cadmium red medium maybe?). I've gone for another cropped composition but remembered not to do it from the same angle as the last one (just in time!) and I've left quite a lot of 'white' space this time and am focusing a little more on the vase and reflections - which I'm really quite pleased with so far.

This is not finished - but I'm hoping to get it finished today. It's nearly 12" x 16" and is coloured pencils on Arches HP.

, , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Oh, these look lovely, I think I know the type of tulips they are - I look forward to seeing this as it develops.

    Another interesting angle for a challenging composition is from the top down. Placing the vase on the floor and sketching from above is quite good fun.

    Keep up the good work, I love your blog!

    Kari x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Kari.

    I agree with you about the angle you gain when putting them on the floor - there's a couple on my website from that perspective (see http://www.pastelsandpencils.com/flowers.html)

    I've not yet tried it literally above them - previous work has always been at a steep diagonal looking down - usually when I'm trying to get a mix of sizes or interesting shadow patterns into the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tulip pieces, and this one is no exception. Looking very good!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.