Sunday, October 04, 2026

"Turning Thirteen" by Frances Bell wins HSFK Portrait Award Visitor's Choice

I have to say I am not in the least bit surprised that "Turning Thirteen" by Frances Bell has won the Visitor's Choice award - as announced by the National Portrait Gallery this afternoon on Facebook and Instagram.

Visitor's Choice Award - Frances Bell

"Turning Thirteen" by Frances Bell; Vistors' Choice Award at HSFK Portrait Award 20262026
Frances Bell and her daughter 
with her portrait of "Turning Thirteen"
at the HSFK Portrait Award Exhibition at the National Gallery, London
© Making A Mark

Here's what I had to say about Frances Bell and her portrait back in my post Portrait Award 2026 - Artists with their paintings (Children and Parents)

Here's MY reasons for why Frances's portrait won.

  • I had a stupendously high number of visitors (265K) looking at one of my posts on Facebook which featured this painting. As in I'd never seen anything like it! Not since "iDeath" by Michal Ožibko which was the overwhelmingly popular choice back in 2010 - see my post The BP Visitors Choice Winner is...
  • The portrait is very striking - as both an idea and as a subject. A girl just entering her teen years is something a lots of mums will have identified with. I think the important message for the chaps who enter this competition is a lot of mothers view this exhibition and vote!!
Turning Thirteen by Frances Bell
© Frances Bell

  • next reason is a bit odd - but valid nevertheless. There's a reason that black text on yellow is used for emergency notices. It's because it is the easiest combination of colours that the eye can register easily and cuts through surroundings. Hence it's very likely that this image would be one which would register quickly and linger long in the memory of those visiting the exhibition.
High luminance: The human eye is most sensitive to yellow wavelengths in daylight, making it the easiest colour to notice in our peripheral vision. 
Sharp contrast: Black absorbs almost all light. Pairing it with a bright yellow background creates a stark contrast that cuts through visual clutter, bad weather, and low-light conditions
  • for me, the portrait also echoes John Singer Sargent - who was one of the most popular portrait painters of the 19th century. If he was still painting today, he'd also be one of the most popular portrait painters. I have felt for some time that Frances's work was heading in that direction, echoing the design and composition, palette choices and tonal patterns. Her work just speaks total quality to me. I can't imagine a client ever being disappointed with her work.
  • it's a really excellent portrait of a teenager which is both contemporary and timeless
    • the head is excellent
    • it includes an arm and hands which are very naturalistic
    • the bare feet are superb
    • the clothing is restrained in style but very well painted
    • The background does not compete but provides a welcome alternative to blank nothingness.
    • it was painted by a mother recording the passing of her child from childhood to teenage years - which is hugely symbolic for both - and hence has resonance for every mother viewing it.
The feet in "Turning Thirteen" by Frances Bell

I will also not be surprised if Frances Bell is next year chosen as the portrait artist asked to complete a commission for the National Portrait Gallery. 

Just as Yvadney Davis was in 2025 after she painted another portrait of her daughter.

As I have already said in my review of Portraits of Children....
I confidently predict Frances will win this Award one day.
This is her page about how she creates her portraits.


The runners up

Genealogical Deformation (2025)
Oil and mixed media on canvas
© Remigijus Gataveckas

The artists who came second and third are:
Madonna and Child, 2026
Oil on linen
© Frances Featherstone


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.