|Who painted this? #44|
CLICK THE IMAGE TO SEE A LARGER VERSION
For those who've not risen to the challenge before please take a minute to read the rules - see below. The questions which need answering don't stop at "Who painted this?"
How to participate in "Who painted this? #44"
PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).
- use your brains not software to find the answer
- search using words only on a database of images
- leave your answer as a comment on this blog
- if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
- if wrong it will be published
- do not leave the answer on Facebook!
- the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know
Who Painted This #43 - The Answer
- Title of the artwork: View from Theo’s apartment
- Name of the artist who created this artwork: Vincent van Gogh (1853–1890)
- Date it was created: March 1887 - April 1887
- Media used: oil on Canvas
- Where it lives now: Van Gogh Museum
Photograph of the framed painting
By Niels from Amsterdam, NL
This is when Theo introduced him to Impressionist paintings and artists for the first time and Vincent began to think about different ways of representing colour and light on his canvas. Do have a read of the page on the Van Gogh Museum website about this period in Van Gogh's life
For four months Van Gogh studies at the prestigious teaching atelier of Fernand Cormon, and he begins to meet the city's modern artists, including Paul Gauguin, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Emile Bernard, Camille Pissarro, and John RussellTheo Van Gogh was managing the Montmartre branch of Goupil & Cie - a well known art dealership in Paris; (now called Boussod, Valadon & Cie). You can still see the stock books used at the time - however they are very big pdf files!
Van Gogh Museum
The original ledgers are available for consultation in the Library's Special Collections. They are searchable in an online database and have also been digitized.
See more at: http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/digital_collections/goupil_cie/#sthash.YidAj5aL.dpuf
|"View of Theo's Apartment" in an exhibition in the Van Gogh Museum|
Part of an exhibition about the Colour and Light of Van Gogh's paintings
Screenshot courtesy of Google Art Project
Who guessed correct?
Who painted this? #43 - Well done to all of you who got the answer correct. I'm pretty sure most of you were in the same boat as me - and had never seen the painting before. Just goes to show what awareness of technique and what places look like can do!
John O'Grady provided the first correct answer
Others providing correct answers included the following - a few of whom know an awful lot more about Van Gogh paintings and paintings of the roofs of Paris!
- Bernadette Madden
- Alyson Champ
- David Hawson
- Colours and Textures
- Tracy Hall
- Barbara Jackson
- Mark - who provided me with this extra link to the work http://www.pubhist.com/person/62/vincent-van-gogh
- Frankie Stockman
If you'd like to study how people get the correct answer try studying past challenges which are listed in the Page Who painted this? - at the the top of the Page. Since of the requirements is to say how you found it, you can see the various ways people get to the answer.
Just for the record - anybody who leaves a comment on the page which lists all the "who painted this?" rather than the specific blog post is not counted. You have been warned!