At the time of writing it has attracted 581 votes as follows:
- 28% sketch anywhere and everywhere
- 13% sketch - but only somewhere they won't be noticed
- 18% sketch sometimes
- 16% don't sketch at all - because they're too intimidated
- 9% have thought about it - but haven't started yet
- 2% used to sketch in public - but had a bad experience and stopped
Finally 6% don't sketch and 5% had 'other reasons'.
Are you surprised by any of these percentages? Is there any one result which stands out for you?
For me, there were a couple.
- Firstly, that 60% of artists and would-be artists are already sketching in public, which I personally think is an excellent result.
- Secondly, that only 2% of artists have actually had a bad experience while sketching in public. Fear of 'something awful happening' (which might be a variety of things depending on an individual's perspective) has been suggested in other places as being one of the main reasons why people don't sketch in public.
And thanks to Marion Boddy-Evans and the people at About Painting for hosting this very informative poll.