A plus because.........
- I can now categorise all my blog posts - so if you want to see everything related to cats (feline art) or all drawings in in (Pen and ink) or anything to do with exhibitions or visits to art galleries and museums (art galleries and museums) you can just click a label.
- by including labels I seem to be generating extra traffic to the blog.
- when you start labelling you think of all sorts of labels/categories - and then see this enormous long list emerging - yikes!!!
- and then when you start reorganising you find it's not possible to delete labels and that for some reason they start listing posts against the name of the label which don't exist.
- BUT Blogger doesn't yet appear to have recognised this as a glitch and doesn't appear to be doing anything about it (see Blogger blog re status for new Blogger - and the page about labels)
- the classic templates only recognise the last 20 posts for each label (an issue which has been recognised).
Also - if you have switched to New Blogger (or are about to) and haven't got to grips with labels yet I have a few TIPS.
- if you like lists you will love the labels function; if you hate lists you will hate it. If you;re one of the latter I suggest you just ignore it.
- make sure you change from the classic template to one of the new ones if you want to use the function for all posts on your blog
- your labels do not have to be called labels - mine are called 'categories'. Edit the heading in the page element section of the layout to make it whatever you want to call it.
- you can change the way in which they are ordered - mine are ordered in terms of frequency, others might want to make it alphabetical
- before you start to label make a list of the sorts of categories which are the main ones you want to use - that stops your list of labels becoming irritatingly long
- start by labelling all new posts and then, if you want to make this function really useful for readers, gradually work you way back through all old posts and label those as well
- use the posts page - accessed via dashboard - to speed things up.
- tick the boxes of all those which need to be labelled with a particular category (eg feline art)
- then create a new label and apply that to all those posts. That way you don't have to open each and every post to label it
- if you have some labels you want to delete in future try to remember this and don't use them any more!!! So this post has a generic label of 'blogging' rather than a specific label of 'blogger' - but I had to check!
- Blogger Blog: Known Issues for New Blogger
- Blogger Blog: Known Issues for New Blogger - labels function
Technorati tags: Blogger, Blogger labels, blogging,