|How do you respond to comments on your blog?|
Making A Mark Poll - February 2012
The good news - everybody does it a bit differently!
- 85 people responded and identified a total of 149 responses and it's evident that there's a diverse range of practices employed.
- Most art bloggers tend to use between 1 and 3 responses to comments - averaging out at 1.75.
- The most popular response - respond to every comment. 54% of bloggers respond to every comment on their blog (sometimes) - ie they only accounted for a third of the responses
- Other popular responses:
- one response to all comments (21% of bloggers and 12% of responses)
- one response to similar comments (18% of bloggers and 10% of responses)
- respond if the blogger has time (18% of bloggers and 10% of responses)
- Very few people never respond at all
The poll produced an interesting set of comments. Here are just a few of them.
I appreciate the time it takes for someone to stop and respond and I think responding back helps keep the conversation going and readers engaged.
Lisa Call (Abstract Contemporary Textile Art)
Blogs like yours, Gurney Journey, Lines and Colors, Stapelton Kearns etc. I don't expect a personal response to every post comment. It's a lot of work (time) to put together blogs of this sort so should we expect it? No.
David J Teter (Avid Art)
I love the way in flickr you can scroll through ‘recent activity’ and see if someone responds to one of your comments. So I am more likely to respond to a comment in flickr than I would on my blog as it is more trackable
Liz Steel (Liz and Borromini and a lot of other blogs!)
I really appreciate the support, encouragement and friendship of the people who read my blog. WordPress makes it easy to respond to comments with their "threaded comments" feature.and my own contribution
Jana Bouc Urban Sketchers S.F. Bay Area / Jana's Journal
My one big rule is that if the person is new and I don't know them to make sure I go and take a look at their blog and then see if I can find a post to comment on.I've not been good at following that one of late and must get back into practising good habits!