Friday, August 02, 2024

I need to take a break - before my hip does!

I'm currently trying to deal with and sort out some health issues which have cropped up recently and which I need to understand better and also get addressed.

So I'm having a bit of a break - while you're all on your summer holidays and/or watching the Olympics! :)

It's essentially a progression of my Osteoarthritis - which to date has been defined as:

  • severe OA: bone on bone in ankle - sorted via the Ankle Fusion Surgery
  • severe OA: bone on bone in shoulder - I need a shoulder replacement
  • pain in right hip - back at the end of 2021, both hips were x-rayed before the ankle surgery and it was determined I had osteoarthritis in my hips too. Essentially this meant "do nothing but keep under review"

bilateral degenerative changes in the hip joints with lateral osteophyte formation and reduction in joint space.

Image courtesy of OrthoInfo

However, something changed radically and very suddenly recently.  Maybe a big chunk of cartilage has broken off? My right hip is now making me very stiff at night, tries really hard to collapse and generally inhibits/prevents me from walking at night or early morning. I sometimes cannot move. It's rather like walking on glass. I'm now very concerned about falling at night.

I think maybe the amount of time I was on my feet standing during a couple of exhibitions / private views in June and July has maybe triggered it - so I now need to be VERY careful.

The odd thing is I'm more or less OK if I'm walking during the day - which I do every day for my ankle and hip (as per NICE recommendations for those with osteoarthritis). In fact, the fact I'm mobilising during the day is entirely due to NOT sitting down and mobilising during the day. 

  • doing regular and consistent exercise, even though this may initially cause pain or discomfort, will be beneficial for their joints
  • long-term adherence to an exercise plan increases its benefits by reducing pain and increasing functioning and quality of life

However the walking  and getting up and down and doing things (e.g. housework) on an hourly basis takes up a LOT of time and makes finding time for writing a tad more difficult!

BUT I'm now finding it very, very difficult to walk at night or early morning after sitting or lying down - as in I'm incredibly stiff, can barely move at times and can only walk with difficulty, hanging on to stuff! The prospect of falling and maybe fracturing my hip is a very real concern. 

I'm slapping on the Voltarol, have started taking painkillers again and am also doing specific exercises. Plus we're thinking about installing proper rails and me using a frame at night.

Bottom line I need to get my hip scanned again - I suspect I've moved to bone on bone - and work out with the doctors what's the best way forward. Which I very much suspect will probably be injections while I wait for a hip replacement.

Plus I've got some other issues which need sorting which are also complicating matters.

I'll be back by September - maybe sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.