The Jerwood Drawing Prize is the largest and longest running annual open exhibition for drawing in the UKYou can read more about the competition in my earlier blog post Jerwood Drawing Prize: Call for Entries (18 May 2015).
Jerwood Drawing Prize 2015: Selected Artists
The names of the selected artists - and links to their websites are detailed below.
The website link is my best guess from what I can find in a relatively short space of time. If I've got it wrong please let me know - comment on this post or send me an email (see side column) and I'll revise it.
- 40 selected artists (69%) have surnames which start with letters in the A-M range and
- 18 selected artists (31%) have surnames which start with letters in the N-Z range
I've included below images from artists who have announced which drawings have been selected for the exhibition.
If anybody else would like their selected image included in this post please send me a jpeg (see contact details) and reference where I can see this on your website.
The selected artists for the Jerwood Drawing Prize 2015 Exhibition are listed below. If you've ever needed some stimulation for revamping your website you should try looking at some of their websites - links are embedded in their names.
|After Joseph Beuys' Wirtschaftswerte (Economic Values) by Bryan Eccleshall|
16 panels = 100 cm x 100 cmif you click the above link you can read about the process used to construct this drawing of a painting
- Bryan Eccleshall + Facebook Page + 365drawings A drawing for every day of 2013
- Pennie Elfick
- Susan England
- Exchange + Draw (a collaborative drawing duo a.k.a Richard Lloyd & Alan Parsons)
- Mark Farhall previously exhibited in Jerwood Drawing Prize 2010
- Craig Fisher
- Nina Fowler - shortlisted for Jerwood Drawing Prize in 2008. These are some of her past exhibitions - so much more interesting that a list. Why don't more artists list their exhibitions like this?
- Thomas Gosebruch - he has his own particular interpretation of the word 'drawing'
|Drawing by Roland Hicks |
selected for the Jerwood Drawing Prize 2015 Exhibition
- Thomas Harrison
- Roland Hicks - see a view of his selected work on his website above
- William Hughes
- Julia Hutton
- Mehr Javed
- Ben Johnson + Facebook Page - I must confess I think of Ben Johnson as a photorealist painter (of large urban landscapes). I wonder what he's drawn! He won the Threadneedle Prize 2014 Visitors' Choice Award This is an interesting blog post on the Jackson's Art Blog Blog
Painter Ben Johnson’s Review of the Year
|An example of Lois Landmead's work from her studies at Glasgow School of Art |
This is 'Anatomical Glove' - Glass beads of the dorsal venous network sewn onto a lady's evening glove.
- Lois Langmead - see an example of her drawing using sewing above
- Gary Lawrence - Gary won the Jerwood Drawing Prize in 2011 and generated a fair degree of press coverage as a result of the nature of his drawing and the fact that he does enormously complex drawings using 3p Tesco Value ballpoint pens (eg see Culture 24 article Jerwood Drawing Prize 2011 exhibition celebrates unknown in Homage to Anonymous and the Daily Mail article Hard-up artist bags £6,000 prize after using 3p biro to create stunning landscape. I'm wondering whether he's still doing very detailed and large drawings....
- Juliette Losq
This is a video of Gary Lawrence talking about how he produces his drawings
It includes a second version of his drawing which won in 2011
- William Mackrell
- Sean Maltby
- Grace McMurray - see her selected work below
- Anouk Mercier - absolutely fascinating drawings
- Mary Millner - she did a Residency at Dumfries House with the Royal Drawing School in 2014
- Joonhong Min
|'Cutcomb Poleroid' by Grace McMurray|
coloured pencil on graph paper
- Paul Peden
- Lee John Phillips - he's got a great project to drawn every single object in his Grandad's shed! Read more about it in How's this for an art project? Teacher Lee Phillips will spend three years drawing every single item in his late grandad's shed
- Ruth Philo
- Giulia Ricci - she has work featured in "Walk the line: The Art of Drawing" by Ana Ibarra and Marc Valli (great book!)
- Annette Robinson
- Jenny Ross
Announcement of PrizewinnersPrizes will be announced and awarded to the winning artists at the preview on 15 September 2015.
Jerwood Drawing Prize 2015 ExhibitionDates: 16 September–25 October 2015
Address: Jerwood Space, 171 Union Street, London SE1 0LN
Opening Times: Mon–Fri from 10am–5pm, Sat & Sun from 10am–3pm
Nearest Tube: Southwark, London Bridge or Borough
Twitter: #JDP15 @JerwoodJVA
The exhibition will start in London and then tour across the UK. You can see it at:
- Jerwood Space, London from 16 September – 25 October 2015
- Cheltenham Art Gallery (21 November 2015 - 31 January 2016),
- Sidney Cooper Gallery, Canterbury (11 February - 9 April 2016), and
- Falmouth Art Gallery (23 April - 25 June 2016).