Sunday, October 08, 2006

Catnapping #10

Catnapping #10
sepia pen and ink (5.75" x 4")
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

All my recent travelling has meant that I've not seen the cats as much and I've not done a cat sketch in a long time. I've resolved to address this and to try and produce at least one a week as a minimum - although I've still to persuade Polly to model for me. Every time I stare at her when she's awake, she thinks it's an invitation to come and smother me with love and affection and provide a furry cat collar for my neck. That's unless she's just done something naughty - and knows it!

On the other hand, my Somali cat called Cosmo never needs to be persuaded to model as in 'catnapping'. This is #10 is his very own catnapping series - which you can see more of here.

Cosmo and "he who must not be bored while I sketch" (MNBB for short) have a very special relationship. Cosmo even displays certain dog-like qualities of devotion towards MNBB. One of the good times to sketch Cosmo is when he's taking his after dinner nap and is sat very close to MNBB. On this particular occasion, I was sketching away when MNBB started to get up from the sofa - having not realised that I was sketching. Cosmo has built-in sensors for knowing when MNBB makes a move and would have woken up. My instant reaction was to say "DON'T MOVE!" sotto voce but in that sort of very firm Barbara Woodhouse voice which she used to use to make dogs sit immediately even if she did not know them. MNBB continued to sit and I finished the sketch quickly........which fortunately only took another couple of minutes! Such is the understanding of MNBB for my sketching - for which I'm eternally grateful!

Technical details are that it's black ink (Pilot G-Tec-C4) in an A6 Winsor and Newton Heavy Weight wire bound sketchbook with removable sheets (80lb paper)

Link: Catnapping - a series of cat drawings

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your website and I had a lovely time. I found you through Jana Bouc's site. Delightful cat sketch. I love the color ink you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katherine, you made me laugh out loud at the mental picture I got of MMNB in obedience training mode.

    And the catnap sketch is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it is so nice to be back to the familiar comforts of home, hearth, and cat (and MNBB!) after all of your gallivanting around this past summer and early fall. This nice sketch is a perfect demonstration of all of that.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.