Wednesday, November 09, 2022

How one dog artist markets for commissions

How do you market commissions if you make or aim to generate most of your income from commissions?

This is a question which applies to very many artists whether they draw or paint adults, families, kids or their dogs or cats - or other creatures.

Yesterday - on my long walk around my local huge (prizewinning) park - I spotted this in The Hub Cafe.  

As a result, this post is about how one dog artist (Ryan Hodge) markets his work as an artist who produces dog portraits - and the lessons that others can learn from his exemplary marketing practices.

Woof Portraits

I also spotted several things which were, to me, obvious good practice
  • an example of the work of the artist
  • a business card which contains all the contact details
  • a QR Code (quick response) for scanning and finding out more quickly
  • good presentation of content and information - so no need to bother the cafe staff with questions
  • plus an ideal location - in the centre of major dog walking territory
I was intrigued so looked into the set-up a little more - which is why it's now getting a blog post.

I have to say the website I found is a model of good practice in terms of keeping things simple but presenting everything potential clients need to know and do in a logical way

Woof Portraits - www.woofportraits.co.uk

Have a look for yourself and you'll see what I mean.
CHECK OUT https://www.woofportraits.co.uk/ which has 
Note in particular that, although he does other commission work, he keeps his website for dog portraits entirely focused on dogs and doggie commissions only. Information about other aspects of his commercial activities can be found elsewhere - so potential clients avoid having to wade through any irrelevant information,

PLUS the artist also has social media platforms for also promoting doggie commissions - see 
  • https://www.instagram.com/woofportraits/
  • https://twitter.com/woofportraits
  • https://www.facebook.com/WoofportraitsbyRyan
AND he's had the GENIUS level idea of teaming up with a local photographer to do doggie photo days - which generate good photos for commission purposes.

I know ALL the dog artists who despair of the awful photos they're given by potential clients will appreciate this idea - even if it doesn't fix the problem with respect to commissions about dearly departed doggies.


I also found it particularly interesting that Ryan creates all his portraits digitally using his iPad. Digital is the way most experienced illustrators work these days - mainly because it's a lot faster than the alternatives.

I'm surprised that he's the first openly digital artist doing doggie portraits that I've come across (although to be honest I've not been looking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.