Monday, November 08, 2010

Cacti on parade!

Works by Katherine Tyrrell
photo courtesy of Ester Roi
Many thanks to Ester Roi for her excellent blog post about our exhibition at Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego, California - see Fine Line Artists Exhibition.  It was great to be able to see photos of my work hung in the exhibition (see above) and the work hung by other artists.  Right click the photos in Ester's post to see the full pictures.

I'm really pleased to see how my cacti look hung together because they left me as just works on paper.  I now know what I'll be doing for my entries for the Annual Exhibition of the Society of Botanical Artists next year!

Apparently everyone at the Recption was amazed at cacti drawn by a British artist.  I think I was most pleased with one thing Louise fed back to me
People kept saying that they had never truly looked at cacti before and that they hadn't realized the variety in structure and color before.
Thank you to everybody who visited as a result of my blog post - and thank to all those who have indicated they'll be visiting before the exhibition ends on 3rd December.

The exhibition is at the Mission Trails Visitor Centre, One Fr. Junipero Serra Trail, San Diego CA 92119.  Gallery Hours are Sunday – Saturday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.

PS I know they're not all strictly speaking cacti but "cacti and succulents on parade" doesn't quite work as a title!

3 comments:

  1. These look stunning! Isn't it great to see a collection of work framed and hanging all together? I always find it sparks off so many ideas for new work. I Can't wait to see the Botanical Artists entry. Wishing you well for the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. I think this is the first time I've had seven on one theme in a show and I'm even impressed with my own work!

    One thing I would note is that the colours in the photo are slightly too intense and I know Ester was having problems with her camera.

    That said it's still brilliant to be able to see them all hung together given it's a bit of a long way for me to go and see the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a wonderful group... and I agree that it's fabulous to see a group of work with a "theme." I just had the same experience... finally seeing seven pieces from a series all hanging together at once and... dang! It felt good. I hope you raise a long-distance glass to yourself and the work. (And then, of course, make MORE!)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.