On the first day of summer, it seems appropriate for the Making A Mark Poll for June to take a look at which is our preferred media for painting - plein air. Hopefully we'll get lots of tips from people about painting plein air too!
Next month we'll look at painting in the studio.
For the purposes of this poll I decided we probably needed a little definition here.
So I'm suggesting that a painting executed plein air is something that is
- not a quick sketch
- not a drawing
- probably covers all or nearly all of the support being used
- possibly a plein air study for a studio painting
- possibly a painting which will go straight to a gallery!
So - what are the options? There are lots of options and they all have their pros and cons - hopefully we'll hear a bit more about those from your perspective in the comments.
The painting plein air media options in the Opinion Poll are as follows:
- traditional oils
- water miscible oils
- alkyds (fast drying oils)
- watercolour (pans and tubes)
- artist quality ink
- soft/hard pastels
- oil pastels
- mixed media
I find most artists tend to settle on one media for painting outdoors - although they may use more when painting in the studio. However as last month, the poll allows multiple responses based on media used on a regular basis rather than those you might use occasionally.
The Poll finishes early on 30th June and I'll post an analysis of the results later the same day. Then the next poll on painting media used in the studo will start on 1st July.
Why do you like your chosen media?
Please comment - I'd love to hear about why you chose the medium you now work with.
I'm also hoping we might be able to encourage a few more people to try painting plein air this summer. So - how about a few tips?
- If you're a seasoned plein air painter and have the time please can you highlight any tips you have for using your chosen media plein air.
- If you're new to plein air painting can you please highlight any issues you've encountered with your chosen painting medium - positive or negative - and how you responded - and whether it worked!
- If you're thinking about plein air painting for the first time please let us know what's stopping you!
- The Making A Mark Poll - Resources for Artists Find out the results of the monthly Making A Mark Polls for artists. See the charts and read the main findings about topics of interest to artists.