Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Georgia O'Keeffe Month: who else is posting?

Prickly Pear Profile
7" x 5", coloured pencil on Arches HP
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

I've been most remiss in not making any reference as yet to the other people who have been following Georgia O'Keeffe month but have now remedied this omission. Here's a list of blogs and blog posts stimulated by study of O'Keeffe's work and approach to art - and we're very international this month.

There also some other interesting links......and a real treat at the end.

Rose Welty - living in North Texas and blogging about Rose's Art Lines has really got into Georgia and the Notan studies
Robyn - an Australian lady living in Tuscany and blogging on "Have Dogs Will Travel"
Chuck Law - artist, part-time florist, ex-floral designer and the man who knows everything about flowers - living in New Jersey and blogging on Chuck Law's Art Pages
Adam Cope - artist, painter, teacher, dreamer, living in France and blogging about Dordogne Painting Days
If I've missed anybody out or omitted a blog post please let me know and I'll include you in the next round-up.

In the meantime - here are a few more links (this time of blogs or from other blogs) to works by Georgia O'Keeffe

Thanks to the Dublin Community Blog for the link to the Irish Museum of Modern Art's exhibition of work by Georgia O'Keeffe earlier this year called "Nature and Abstraction". (I LOVE the painting of the yellow leaves - I had in mind to develop studies of leaves next - after I'd got the cacti out of my system!). The exhibition will travel to the Vancouver Art Gallery, Canada, from 6 October 2007 to 13 January 2008. For details of the catalogue publication see details at the end.

The Art Law Blog documents a major court case involving work by Georgia O'Keeffe.

Finally this is a link to a film posted by Kim Obrist on You Tube. It's a a film of 92 year old Georgia O'Keeffe talking about her life and her work at her home in New Mexico. The original source of the film is unclear (does anybody know where it comes from?) but I'd personally like to thank whoever made this film as it works better than any book at explaining some of her subjects and her paintings.

Links:

8 comments:

  1. This latest cactus is gorgeous, Katherine. I do hope it's a very long series. The colour blending and form is beautiful. I love Georgia O'Keeffe month!
    Many thanks for blogging me and I've been dying to know who has joined in, so now I'm off to see what everyone else is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, what a wonderful round up! I'm so glad you found that video on YouTube. I just finished a book on O'Keeffe at the very end of her life written by a nurse of hers. It left me with more questions than answers. But that video gave real insight into her and her approach to art and life.

    Last night I was looking through more of her work and came across some leaves. I thought, maybe I'd do a leaf next. Great minds think alike, I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, these Georgia O'Keefe inspired postings are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog mark Katherine,and more great links to explore! I can't wait to see what others have done...and that video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really get the hang of these cacti Katherine. Really nice job. I still haven't tackled one but did get some nice photos at the plant nursery yesterday at our group outing.

    After the plein air outing, I stopped by one of the ladies' house to pick up some watercolor videos and noticed she had an O'keefe video. She said it is about here life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like there is a video called Georgia O'Keeffe available - made in 1977.

    Watch out for the really pink cacti - coming next......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered your nice blog. So far I have only done one Georgia O'Keefe inspired work. And it was only a tiny atc.
    http://kerstinsklein.blogspot.com/2007/03/georgia-okeefe-atc.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ksklein - really interesting

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.