While I was away, Maggie Stiefvater got the other Fine Line Artists to have a go at answering the questions posed by Alyson, which I've repeated below
.......It’s the time to take a good hard look at the steps you’ve taken toward reaching your goals. And I’ll bet you’ve made more progress than you know.I was simply 'gobsmacked' at the answers they produced! It's a totally stunning and very rewarding exercise - and really helps you think about goals for 2007 as well as feeling good about yourself and your achievements right now. I'm planning to have a go at it between Christmas and New Year.
That’s why it’s important to do this exercise. If you don’t write down your achievements, you’ll just keep thinking about what’s left to do.
With that in mind, what did you do this year? Take into consideration:
* How many works did you create?
* What trips (local or far away) did you make to nourish your art?
* How much money did you make from your art?
* What classes (business or creative) did you take?
* What did you invest in that will help you to run a more profitable or streamlined business?
* Whom did you hire so that you can spend more time on your creative career? (framer, virtual assistant, housekeeper, lawn mower, bookkeeper)
* Whom did you meet that has turned out to be a mentor?
* What books did you read? What magazines?
* What movies did you see that inspired you?
* How many names did you add to your mailing list? (Note the exact number so you can evaluate your progress this time next year.)
* What habits or routines did you put into place?
* What habits or routines did you eliminate?
* Where did your name or artwork appear in print? Where did it appear online?
* How did you improve your website or Web presence?
* What new marketing materials did you add or improve on?
* Where did you speak about your work?
* What new materials or techniques did you experiment with?
* What organizations did you join?
* What projects did you initiate?
On a more personal level:
* How did you care for your health and well-being?
* How did you strengthen your personal relationships?
* What vacations did you have?
* What parties did you attend?
* What new hobby did you take up?
* Where did you volunteer?
Recalling your accomplishments is a good habit to adopt. After you do, how will you celebrate?
(From "Celebrate" Alyson Stanfield's Art Marketing Action newsletter 18th December 2006)
You can read Alyson's answers to her own questions here.
For those of you who don't know Alyson and her work but are serious about marketing your art can I recommend that you:
- have a go at the quiz when you next find a moment to yourself - it's good!
- subscribe to her weekly Art Marketing Action newsletter - it peps me up every Monday!
- read her blog - the Art Biz Blog - always interesting and stimulating
- take a look at her website - ArtBizCoach.com you may find more to interest you.
- Alyson Stanfield - ArtBizCoach
- Art Marketing Action newsletter
- Art Biz Blog - art marketing secrets, resources and coaching from Alyson