[UPDATE - Video #2: Ilaria highlighted another video in the comments and this is also worth taking a look at - yet another artist having an ironic view on the topic of constructing an artist's statement].
Second - a very sound proposition from Joanne Mattera (Joanne Mattera Art Blog) which is recommended reading - Marketing Mondays: Rethinking the Artist’s Statement
Finally - an article by Carolyn Edlund on Artsy Shark which neatly summarises 6 Ways your Artist Statement can Work for You
All of these links have been added into my very popular resource How to Write an Artist's Statement - Resources for Artists which attracts huge traffic round about the time fine artists graduate - but there's no reason why students should not look at it earlier in the academic year!
An Artist's Statement is essential - but lots of artists dread writing a statement about their art!Below you can find what it covers - click one of the links to find out more
Do you need a statement for an art competition, an exhibition catalogue, a grant proposal or a website - but not know how to express your art in words?
Do you need some tips and guideliness for writing an artist's statement?
This site provides links to various helpful and informative articles about how to write an artist statement, the sort of information it should contain, records you need to keep and how to tackle specific issues
- How this site can help you
- How to write an Artist's Résumé or CV
- The Artist's Statement
- Why you need an Artist's Statement
- What should an Artist's Statement contain?
- The Language of an Artist's Statement
- How to write an Artist's Statement
- VIDEO: How to translate an Artist's Statement
- What are the most important aspects of an artist's statement?
- BOOKS: The Artist Statement
- How to address gaps and problems with your Artist Statement
- A critique of different approaches to Artist's Statements
- BOOKS: Resource Manuals for new, emerging and experienced artists
- An Artist's Statement for Online Galleries