Why we need to help
On January 12, 2010, at 4:53pm local time, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti, approximately 10 miles from Port-au-Prince.Port-au-Prince is a massive tomb. It's now clear (as of 2oth January) that the earthquake killed an estimated 200,000 people, injured 250,000, left 1.5 million homeless and completely incapacitated Haiti's own emergency services.
This isn't about getting help to the survivors who need water or medical aid right now. That's either going to happen or it isn't. This is about helping to provide the funds to support a rescue and aid programme which will need to be long and dedicated.
For those who prefer to give direct to charity, there is a list at the end of ways of doing that with links to the websites of the organisations concerned.
I'd like to do what I can to help by giving artists' efforts a bit more of a profile through highlighting them on this blog. Consequently this blog post will be updated on a regular basis with links to every artist or gallery that sends me a URL (via a comment on this post) highlighting what they are doing to generate funds. The link will only go to the specific post which highlights the action taken by the individual artist.
Artists supporting relief for Haiti
- Jeanette Jobson (Illustrated Life) - is auctioning Kisses for Haiti on eBay (see right)
- Manuela Valenti (Valenti) has listed new items to Help Haiti Earthquake Victims! in her page of Art for Haiti
- Jan Blencowe (The Poetic Landscape) is donating a painting to the140Hours Haitian Relief Auction to take place Jan. 29th for 48 hours.
- Ray Wilkins (Art Emotions) has The Working Girl - a painting for Haiti
- IndixFixx is conducting a silent auction of of items that have been donated by indie crafters, artists and designers - see IndixFixx Haiti Relief
- Joy Garnett’s Gesture for Haiti on Facebook is documented by
- Christa St Jean (Christas's Art and Design) has set up Auctions for Haiti and is donating proceeds through the money through Yele Haiti since their service doesn’t charge any fees.
- Lisa McShane (1,000 Paintings) is doing 2 things:
1. A Rose for Haiti auction on ebay with 100% of proceed going to the American Red Cross for their relief effort
2. participating in the 140 hours auction. Artists can go to www.140hours.com to participate.
- Stefan Maguran is sending the proceeds from any sales of my paintings on www.maguran.com in the next 24 hours the Haiti Relief Effort. He's sold two works so far and raised AU$ 600.
- CathyAnn Burgess (CathyAnn's Studio) has a figurative giclee print at an ebay auction with 100% proceeds going to Doctors without Borders. Her blog post explains more. Figurative Painting-"Summer Repose" Relief for Haiti
Galleries and other art organisations supporting Haiti
- there is to be a 140Hours Haitian Relief Auction on Jan. 29th for 48 hours. It starts at 9pm EST.
This is going to be a world-wide event, raising disaster relief funding by donated art at 100% transfer rate from all over the planet! Interested artists send reply to: email@example.com! Thank you, Gary Brant,CEO
- Seattle Art Blog - Local gallery joins the Haitian relief effort
- Vassar Info News - Vassar Haiti Project begins several emergency relief intitiatives in wake of earthquake - and the Vassar Haiti Project (artwork). The latter directly benefits artists in Haiti.
- Pushgallery is donating a painting in Helping donate to the victims of Haiti Earthquake work
- Urban Sketchers has produced a poster which can be revised to include details of charities specific to the country it is used in - see Help Haiti
Give directly to:
- Disasters Emergency Committee (secure donation supported by BT)
- the British Red Cross
- Save the Children
- Text Haiti to 90999 to instantly donate $10.