The Joyce Cuming Presentation Award
This is a legacy award which this year went to Angela Stanford for a very large painting of an ornamental gourd.
The President's cash prize for work in media other than watercolour was awarded to Alison Holt Assoc SBA for Chartreuse (freehand machine embroidery ob painted silk). She's an artist who is enormously talented in machine embroidery. I didn't realise at first that it was embroidery at all.
The Margaret Stevens Award
This award for an artist whose work reflects their concern for the environment is awarded in 2010 to Marta Chirino SBA GM for Aquatic Plants (a drawing in ink). This is a link to a one person exhibition she had in Madrid in 2009
The St Cuthberts Mill Award
Paper to the value of £100 has been given for an outstanding watercolour painting by Julia Trickey FCPGFS GM for watercolour painting of an Oal Leaf in Autumn at five times its actual size. Ms Trickey teaches workshops for those wanting to learn about botanical painting near Bath for beginners and improvers.
The Margaret Grainger Memorial Silver Bowl
The award is given to the best painting by a member elected in the previous two years. This year it was won by Eiko Hamada SBA GM CBM'09 who was admitted to full membership as a result of her entries in last year's show.
The image below shows all five works that she entered
The Daler-Rowney Choice Award
Products from the Daler Rowney Catelogue for an award chosen by Daler Rowney went to Susan Dalton SBA CBM '03 and '04
The Society of Botanical artists Certificate of Botanical Merit
A number of artists won Certificates of Botanical Merit. The images are a sample of the work.
- Tina Bone Assoc. SBA
- Marta Chirino SBA GM
- Dianne Sutherland - Onopordium acanthum Scots Thistledown Head (graphite) - Dianne is a Scottish artist whose work can be appreciated more with a magnifying glass. This work was also highly commended for the Joyce Cuming Award.
- Beth Phillip BSc GM CBM'08 - Sarracenia purpurea Huntsman's Cup (watercolour) This was part of a very attractive series of watercolour paintings which I liked very much indeed.
- Janie Pirie SBA GM - Cydonia oblonga 'Vranja' - Quince (coloured pencil). Janie runs workshops in coloured pencil near Colchester and other venues
- Marilyn Wheeler NDD DipSBA (Dist) Assoc SBA - Helleborus orientalis (watercolour)
- Sue Wickinson BA(Hons) SBA - Arisarum probosdicdeum (watercolour and pencil)
If you would like to know more about Botanical Art and/or learn how to paint botanical art
EITHER see the website of the Society of Botanical Artists for a list of course tutors who are also SBA members or details of the distance learning diploma course
AND/OR check out all the links to resources listed in my information sites below