- Today I'm posting the details of how to enter 21st Century Watercolour 2009, an annual open painting competition organised by the Royal Watercolour Society.
- Tomorrow, I'm going to post my review of the RWS/Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition which opens today at London's Bankside Gallery and continues to 21st September.
Notice to Artists
The aim of the competition is to encourage innovation in the use of water-based media on paper and to stimulate fresh approaches to what are considered to be watercolour’s traditional strengths.
Benefits of being selected for this exhibition are having your work exhibited at the Bankside Gallery in central London (next to Tate Modern) in February/March each year and eligibility to win prizes which can total £10,000 (to be announced). Plus successful applicants may also be encouraged to apply for Membership of the Royal Watercolour Society:
- in 2007 several exhibitors were made Associate Members, including Fay Ballard, Bill Henderson and George Devlin.
- In 2008 three of the four new Associate Members – Thomas Plunkett, Denis Ryan and Caroline McAdam Clark also exhibited in 21st Century Watercolour.
Call for entries: Artists are invited to submit up to three framed, glazed water-based paintings on paper. These are links to the pdf files which you can download from the RWS website.
Update: I forgot to include what follows!! For anybody unclear about the meaning of original work and copyright see Art competitions and copyright - the AWS Gold Medal debate 08.09.08.]
Work in all water-based media on paper is eligible. Acrylic or gouache should not be used impasto. The works should have been painted within four years of submission and must be the original work of the artist named on the entry form. The work must be for sale and copyright must be vested in the named artist. There is no restriction on style or subject matter.The selectors: Work is selected by a panel of judges. Last year the panel consisted of Gillian Llewellyn-Lloyd from the Llewellyn-Alexander Gallery, David Kitchin from the Rowley Gallery, Richard Sorrell PRWS and David Paskett RWS. Judges for this year have yet to be announced.
21st Century Watercolour - Notice to Artists
Prizes: In previous years numerous prizes, worth in excess of £10,000, have been kindly donated by various individuals and organisations including the Royal Watercolour Society, St. Cuthbert’s Mill, Baker Tilly, Winsor and Newton and Elizabeth Scott-Moore Fund.
- Entry form DEADLINE: Wednesday 14th January 2009
- Regional Collection Points ( by carriers)
- Saturday 24th January 2009 - Newcastle on Tyne, Edinburgh and Errol
- Sunday 25th January 2009 - Glasgow, Penrith, Kendal, Lancaster, Preston, Warrington and
- Wednesday 4th February 2009 - Doncaster
- Wednesday 11th February 2009 Cornwall (Penzance)
- Thursday 12th February 2009 - Exeter, Southampton
- Bankside Gallery Send-in dates (unwrapped and labelled)
- Saturday 14th February, 11am - 6pm and
- Sunday 15th February, 11am - 6pm
- (note no works can be received at the Bankside before or after this date and no works are accepted by post)
- Collection of unaccepted works: Tuesday 17th February, 11am - 7pm
- Private View: Thursday 19th February, 6pm - 8pm
- Exhibition: Bankside Gallery Friday 20th February - Sunday 15th March 2009.
For more information you should contact Bankside Gallery in the first instance. Their mailing address is Bankside Gallery, 48 Hopton Street, London SE1 9JH. Alternatively telephone on 020 7928 5721 or email email@example.com.Links: