This is the fourth year of the Prize which was created to encourage creative representational painting and to promote the skill of draughtsmanship. Prize money this year totals £22,500.
The competition is open to living UK artists over the age of eighteen (on 15.09.08.) - who are invited to submit up to three original and recent non-sculptural works.
- Only original, two-dimensional works in any painting media, that have been completed in the last three years and have not been previously exhibited are eligible
- works must not exceed 72inches (183 cms in thier largest dimensions - including frame)
- Works on paper must be framed and no metal or plastic frames will be accepted for judging. There should be no projections on the backs of frames.
- All work (except commissioned portraits) has to be for sale.
- a First Prize of £15,000,
- 5 Runner-up Prizes of £1,000 and
- a Young Artist Award of £2,500.
How to enter and downloads
Last year nearly 800 entries were submitted and 66 paintings were selected for an exhibition which I saw last November and commented on in it Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize and exhibition
For those unfamiliar with such exhibitions, I can tell you that (a) it's an excellent exhibition and consequently a big achievement for artists who get work accepted (b) it attracts entries from prominent artists and (3) it's worth reading the article by judge Laura Gasgoigne - as suggested in my blog post review of the exhibition.
do read her article on the exhibition which describes the selection process. What happens will come as no surprise to anybody who has ever been involved in a selection process for an exhibition or competition attracting a large number of entries - but maybe a bit of an eye-opener for others.
If you want to enter the deadline for entries in London is 14 and 15 September 2008 - however there are also regional collection points - which start in Birmingham next Thursday 4th September.
For full details of how to enter - including a leaflet which details submission rules, 2008 competition dates, a location map for the City of London Hand In Centre and details and timings of regional collection points - you'll need to download the following from the website of the organiser Parker Harris www.parkerharris.co.uk
For further information please contact the prize organisers, Parker Harris, on 01372 462190 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.