Below is an overview of the details for those wanting to submit work to The Pastel Society (PS) Annual Exhibition 2017 at the Mall Galleries.
You have three weeks to get a submission together if you want to enter.
The deadline for your digital entry is Friday 4 November 2016, 12 noon
At the end of this post are links to past exhibitions which I've reviewed on this blog so you can see what sort of work gets exhibited by members and those selected from the open entry.
|A panoramic view of the Private View of the 2016 Pastel Society Exhibition at the Mall Galleries|
Who is eligible?
- This is an OPEN exhibition and is not limited to work by members
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- There is no restriction of where you live and the exhibition often has works exhibited by people who live overseas. The exhibition is open to artists in the UK, EU, and outside the EU.
Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists submitting work from outside the UK and EU must be registered BEFORE they submit online.
|View of a corner of the exhibition in 2016|
What media and images are eligible?
- Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conte, sanguine, or any other dry media are all acceptable media.
- I must confess I'm always surprised by the oil pastels. If the new watercolour sticks or the art marker sticks called them pastels would that mean that they too became eligible media? For me personally, the criteria ought to strictly limit artwork to dry media in all its various forms.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m (7.8 feet) along the longest dimension.
- Work must have been:
- completed during the twelve months prior to the exhibition and
- not have been exhibited elsewhere.
- Number of works:
- Maximum of six works submitted.
- Maximum of four works selected.
- Minimum price: £300.
Submission: key dates and points to note
The Call for Entries for the Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2017 can be found on the Mall Galleries website. This includes details of the numerous prizes on offer.
The website ALSO has the FULL Terms and Conditions for all 'Calls for Entries' for exhibitions at the Mall Galleries
- ALL work must be submitted online at registrationmallgalleries.org.uk
- You must complete the registration form and upload your digital image (in JPEG format and no bigger than 1MB) no later than Friday 4 November 2016, 12 noon when registration closes.
- The submission fee is £15 per work (£10 per work for artists aged 35 or under) - with no further hanging fee.
- CHECK if your work has passed the digital screening by logging on from Friday 11th November 12 noon.
- If pre-selected you now have two months to get your work framed prior to delivery for the second round of selection.
- IF PRE-SELECTED you need to deliver your work for the second round of the selection process
- Works should be delivered unwrapped with forms and labels.
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier.
- Deliver your work on the Receiving Day - Saturday 7th January 2017 between 10am - 5pm.
- Selection takes place on Monday 9th January 2017.
- CHECK if your work has been selected for exhibition on Tuesday 10 January, from 12 noon.
- Be prepared to collect unaccepted work on Thursday 12th January 10am - 5pm
|Drawings in Charcoal at the 2016 exhibition|
TIPS for potential entrants
- Read the FULL terms and conditions for entry on the Mall Galleries website carefully
- Don't leave registration and uploading your image to the last minute.
- Measure your work precisely
- Make sure the framed size does not render the work ineligible.
- If you live outside the UK make sure you read the conditions about VAT very carefully and don't think you can get away with skipping registration if it applies to you! This is both law and tax and this condition is NOT flexible!
Exhibition - Key dates
The exhibition opens to the public on Tuesday 21st February. It's then open every day (10am to 5pm) until 3pm on Saturday 4th March. The Private View is on Monday 20th February 2pm - 8pm
I will be reviewing the exhibition as per normal that week! To see what previous exhibitions have looked like see below.
Past Exhibitions of the Pastel Society
- 2016: 117th Annual Exhibition of the Pastel Society - You can also view the e-catalogue for the exhibition on Issuu.
- 2015: 116th Annual Exhibition of The Pastel Society
- 2014: The Pastel Society - 115th Annual Exhibition
- 2013: Review: The Pastel Society - Annual Exhibition 2013
- 2012: Review: "Love Pastels" - The Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2012
- 2011: Review: The Pastel Society's Annual Exhibition - Colour 2011 (updated)
- 2009: Exhibition review: The Pastel Society's 110th Annual Exhibition
- 2008: The Pastel Society UK - 109th Annual Exhibition
- 2007: "Pastels Today" - The Pastel Society Exhibition (#1) and "Pastels Today": The Pastel Society Exhibition (#2)