- The Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition opens this week at the Mall Galleries. I reported last month that Kathryn Maple wins Sunday Times Watercolour Competition - for the second time in three years!
|Gridlock (Manhattan) by Janet Kenyon|
winner of the Smith & Williamson Cityscape Prize
at the Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition
- The Jerwood Drawing Prize Exhibition opened last week at the Jerwood Space. Jerwood Drawing 2016 (Part 1) - Solveig Settemsdal wins First Prize is about the prizewinners.
- The Derwent Art Prize 2016 also opens tomorrow at the Mall Galleries (until 24th September). Its aim is to showcase the very best artworks created in pencil by British and International artists
Art Exhibitions & Collections
- I wrote about All the mistakes you can make when submitting work to an art exhibition and a number of artists came up with a few more - so I'll be highlighting a summary in the near future
- Guerrilla Girls at the Whitechapel Gallery this Autumn - opening
- The Columbia Threadneedle Prize Winner Solo Exhibition Beer and Guns: Lewis Hazelwood-Horner is the solo exhibition whuioch formed part of this year's prize. It runs 19 September 2016 to 24 September 2016 at the Mall Galleries.
- Flora Japonica opened at the Shirley Sherwood Gallery at Kew yesterday. I'll be writing an introduction to the artists exhibiting and then reviewing it shortly.
- 'Florilegium: Sydney’s Painted Garden' at Museum of Sydney until 30 October 2016. Associated with this was a post about one of the artists painting one of the paintings in the exhibition which has proved to be one of my most popular ever posts - it's a totally fascinating Video: Painting a Norfolk Island Pine for the RBG Sydney Florilegium
- 'The Artist & the Botanical Collector' at the Museum of Sydney continues until 20 November 2016
- "Enchanted Forrest" Exhibition by the Scottish Society of Botanical Artists continues until Sunday 16th October 2016 at Callander House in falkirk
- I wrote about RHS Botanical Art Shows in 2017 - the FAQS
- This is a review of 13th Florum Exhibition in Sevenoaks - a review of art and artists which closed yesterday - and sadly won't be happening in 2017 although we hope for a resurrection in 2018.
- Who knew Richard Attenborough loved Picasso's ceramics? Or that he probably had the best collection in private hands? Although Richard Attenborough made a lifetime loan of their Picasso ceramics to the New Walk Museum and Art Gallery, the Guardian reports that Richard Attenborough's beloved Picasso ceramics to go on sale via auction
Art Business & Marketing
- Will artists need to move out of London in future if they want cheap space to rent now that every last inch of brown field sites are being rezoned, refurbished and rebuilt? Read the article on Apollo Magazine about Where will London's Artists work?
Art Galleries & Fairs
- Galleries can't always dictate terms to artists - however in order to call the shots, an artist must be commercially successful—particularly when it comes to art fairs. Read As artists play the field, galleries are having to adapt in The Art Newspaper
- Read An Art Fair Primer with Ilana Vardy for exhibiting artists on Artbusiness.com
- Will the successor to Sir Nicholas Serota as Head of the Tate Galleries be a woman? There's at least three strong contenders... in Six candidates who could be up for the top job at Tate galleries
Selling Art & Social Media
- Cory Huff (The Abundant Artist) on selling art via Facebook - How to sell art on Facebook - a 60 minute training video (keep scrolling) or download the pdf of this webinar Click here to view on Dropbox
- Have you ever been asked to donate art to charity? Have a read of this article (or bookmark it for reference later) about The Career Benefits of Boycotting Charity Art Auctions if this has happened to you. It's old but the points are still relevant and worth thinking about
Instagram and Videos
- 'The Working Artist' website has an infographic about selling art online that summarises key points
- Social Media Examiner has a REALLY USEFUL article for all those aiming to market their art or artistic services (eg tuition) using YouTube videos. 5 Ways to Enhance YouTube Videos for Marketers is not aimed at artists but the principles are the same
- Art Collectors and Instagram is an overview of information and statistics about how art collectors use Instagram and who some of the art collectors are who use it
- More about how Instagram is changing the art market
- As my series of articles for The Artist Magazine wind up, I start to write about matters you have to deal with after you start to trade and sell art in How to keep on the right side of the tax man in the September edition.
- 3 Distractions that can Derail Your Art Business is an excellent article by Carolyn Edlund of Artsy Shark
- Applications close 30th September 2016 for the The John Busby Seabird Drawing Course & Bursaries
- Do you have to have insurance to run an art class? could have been listed under Art Business as the target audience is art tutors who are independently providing tuition to students
Art on Television
- Art History: JMW Turner and the Industrial Revolution is about JMW Turner and how he came to paint the Industrial Revolution in the UK.
- We had another art history film on television last night - this time it was Schama on Rembrandt: Masterpieces of the Late Years (28 days left to watch it)
- This is about The making of the Highgrove Florilegium
- I continue to develop my resources about The Best Books about Botanical Art History, Artists and Illustrators