|screen capture from the official Google video - Tilt Brush: Painting from a new perspective (see below)|
In effect - literally - you paint digitally in 3G space (virtual reality) by using three dimensional brush strokes produced using the Tilt Brush.
Consequently it requires a virtual reality headset to execute the work. It uses the HTC Vive device which has won multiple awards and the software is available on the Steam platform.
Here's a video of what it can do
This Chrome Design experiment site is definitely worth a look! Virtual Art Experiments let loose six artists to see what they could do when using the Tilt Brush in Virtual Reality. You get to choose an artist and the video produced uses a headset so you can see what they are doing. The videos show what happened in real-time speed but you can speed up the videos using the controls bottom right. Some artists are more confident than others - and some work faster than others - in real time!
It's definitely well worth exploring Google's Tilt Brush website which explains more about how the brush can produce immersive 3D artworks:
- It has videos which explain the features: dynamic brushes; an intuitive interface; scope to work room size and to share your creations
- boasts about the compliments it is collecting
- and has a normal less jazzy low key Help section
- its own Twitter account @tiltbrush - but only one tweet to date (and 2,196 followers so far!). If you want to check out artwork using the software check out #TiltBrush on Twitter - although to be fair what we have at the moment is pictures of lots of chaps with headsets on who don't seem to have quite got the hang of it so far! Bear in mind that like any new media it takes some time and a lot of practice before you get good at using it!
Experimenting with programmatically generating #TiltBrush scenes. Naturally, we have a teapot. pic.twitter.com/MsmPOcn3Kg— ♛ (@WillKirkby) May 14, 2016
- and its own 'Tilt Brush' Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/tiltbrush
and here's some articles I found on the internet (I'll add more if I come across good ones).
- Google - Tilt Brush: painting from a new perspective - this is the official Google blog explanation of what it does.
- CNN - Google Tilt Brush: The 'impossible' is now a reality
- Digital Arts Online - Tested: Google Tilt Brush VR painting app for the HTC Vive
- Science World Report - Google's Tilt Brush: Generates 3D Image That Appears To Paint The Space All Around You