At the 2015 Annual Exhibition of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters at the Mall Galleries, one wall is devoted to the Young Artists who were considered for the Winsor & Newton Oil Painters Awards (for artists aged 35 or under) who won Winsor & Newton Fine Art Materials to the value of First Prize - £1,000; Second Prize - £600 and Third Prize - £400.
The ROI's top cash prize is also one intended to encourage and support young oil painters.
|The wall of Young Oil Painters (18-35 years old)|
hung by the Mall Galleries technicians who did an excellent job
One of the interesting aspects of these awards is that winners often go on to become Associate and then full members of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters. It's certainly a very good way of getting your work noticed and remembered by the members of the ROI when your application for membership finally goes in.
Bernadette Timko wins Top Prizes
This year one young oil painter stood out - Bernadette Timko. She won BOTH:
- An award of £2,000 in memory of Phyllis Roberts ROI to encourage and support young painters.
- First Prize in the Winsor & Newton First Young Oil Painter Award - £1,000 of W&N art materials.
|Bernadette Timko being presented with the Phyllis Robert Award (£2,000) at the ROI Annual Exhibition 2015by Sir William McAlpine|
An award of £2,000 in memory of Phyllis Roberts ROI
(courtesy of the ROI)
|Self Portrait by Bernadette Timko (SOLD)|
Winner of the Phyllis Roberts Award and First Prize, Winsor & Newton Young Oil Painters
oil, 36 x 25cm
|Anthony I by Bernadette Timko (sold)|
oil, 50 x 40cm
Frankly I expect to see her work turning up in exhibitions of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters and the BP Portrait Award very soon.
(But please can she get a website soon!)
The Second Prize went to Andrew Farmer for his self portrait which was a very colourful painting.
|Self Portrait by Andrew Farmer|
- won £600 of artists materials from W&N
Third PrizeThird prize was awarded to Harriet Pratt for her portrait of Ben. Interestingly all three prizewinners painted portraits.
See also my Review: Annual Exhibition of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters 2015
It would be
Links about Previous ROI Annual Exhibitions
- Review: Royal Institute of Oil Painters - Annual Exhibition 2014 (14 Dec 2014)
- Review - 2013 Annual Exhibition of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters (19 Dec 2013)
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters - Annual Exhibition 2012 (18 Dec 2012)
- 124th Annual Exhibition of The Royal Institute of Oil Painters 06 Dec 2011
- Review: Royal Institute of Oil Painters - 123rd Annual Exhibition 2010 11 Dec 2010
- Winsor and Newton Oil Painter Awards 07 Dec 2010
- Exhibition Review - Royal Institute of Oil Painters 09 Nov 2009
- The Royal Institute of Oil Painters - 121st Annual Exhibition 06 Nov 2008