Wednesday, October 07, 2015

RIP Polly 2000 - 2015

Time for a pause in blogging - for reflection on the life of Polly, my much loved Abyssinian cat.

"Pause"
Polly sunbathing in the doorway heard me behind her
and an ear twitched round - worked up from a 15 second sketch and my memory!
14" x 11" coloured pencil on black Stonehenge paper
She died this afternoon after becoming very sick with heart failure 10 days ago.

Losing Polly would be bad enough on its own but coming on top of the loss of Cosmo to cancer four months ago (see RIP Cosmo 2000 - 2015) - it's really knocked me for six.

Cosmo and Polly as kittens
Guess who was boss?
They came to me at three months old in 2000 and started out as cute and continued as cute!

Polly contributed cute kittens for drawing and took the matriarch role, while Cosmo did cuddles, played nursemaid to the kittens - and knew his place in the Polly pecking order.

Polly says "A girl can never have enough feeds"
Cosmo says "I want a feed too!"

Guess who's bottom looks big in this?
Polly in particular was a very pretty cat for fifteen years. Latterly people were amazed at how old she was. Here she is in 2013

Polly demonstrating the advantages of backlighting
She was however VERY difficult to draw - maybe because she was so petite, precise and neat! She was always much easier to do from behind than from head on!

Polly - Study#1
pen and sepia ink, 10" x 6.5"
Polly had a certain way of staring at you when she wanted her next meal
"Polly" in 2008
pen and ink and coloured pencils
I ended up drawing her kittens more than I drew her - until the last few days.

Meet the Kittens (her second litter)
This made it on to the front cover of the Annual Exhibition of the Society of Feline Artists
and into my book Sketching 365 (page 90)
Coloured Pencil on Paper, 11.5 x 7.5 ins 290 x 190 mm
Polly - true to form - looked cute and gorgeous right up to the end. This was her yesterday afternoon.

Polly on 6th October - she died 7th October 2015
Having sat with her and next to her for the last three days, watching over her as she went downhill very fast, I now need to take some time out. Blogging will be back next week.

21 comments:

  1. Kathryn I am so sorry to hear about Polly. You are still raw from Cosmo, too, I know. Sending you lots of love and warm thoughts. I know how much you loved them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Katherine. Your paintings of her are very special

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just how hard it is to loose a pet (not to mention two). She was a beauty and you created some wonderful drawings of her and her kittens. I know in the future you'll smile every time you look at them. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry for your loss, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, Katherine...she was very beautiful, and left your life too young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO sorry for your loss. I just lost both my beloved cat in July and beloved dog in August, so I know how sad and horrible it is. I still cry over their loss. My thoughts are with you. And I think your drawings of her are beautiful and special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an angel-cat. I know how this feels. Years ago I lost an adorable Burmese named Emma after 4 weeks of sudden cardio myopathy and heart failure at age 3 and 1/2 yrs. It's heartbreaking but as you say esp coming so close after Cosmo. Our feline companions just never live long enough. My condolences. Pat Wafer, Madison, Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry! They were both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Condolences on the loss of Polly. Your drawings are beautiful. She and Cosmo make me think of an elderly married couple who couldn't live with one another. What a rough year; hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for your loss, they are special little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might like to listen to the BBC Radio 4 programme `We British`, presented by Andrew Marr, which was on this morning...part of Poetry Day. About 15.30 mins, in there is a reading of a poem called Pangur Bán, written in the 9th century, by a monk about his cat. He must have watched Pangur, probably his only constant companion in a lonely place and recorded what he saw in verse, as you did your two cats , in your drawings, in the bustle of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Katherine, it seems so silly to mourn a cat, but somehow they wheedle their way into our hearts. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my condolences on the loss of a beloved family member
    she was a great model for your studies

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is when they must go on without us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you lost your Polly, Katherine. Picture her back with Cozmo, both keeping an eye on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved and truly beautiful cat. They are as eear to us as a family member and deserve to be mourned and grieved for as such and also to be remembered with joy and love for the love they gave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Sorry" doesn't quite cover it, but there are no other words. Those were long years of sharing your life with Cosmos and Polly. The hurt will last for a long time but it will become less until the tears stop.
    My daughter has 3 cats, the oldest will be 18 yrs this year. We all dread the day when Jennifer goes. I hope I can help my daughter get through it.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  18. We also have a darling Abyssinian cat named Simon. He is amazing...as I know Polly was.

    Polly was gorgeous!

    I'm sorry your friend walked across the rainbow bridge.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.