I've now discovered the document from which this came. It's a report called "Arts audiences: insight". You can download the report for free:
an arts-based segmentation of English adultsEach of the market segments are analysed according to their behavioural habits and interest in the arts.
The market segments are listed below. The links in the titles are to the pages online where you can read more about them
|Urban Arts Eclectic|
|Retired culture vulture|
|Retired arts and crafts|
Not currently engaged
Looks like I'm a traditional culture vulture with significant elements of Mature explorer and leanings towards "Urban arts eclectic" and "retired arts and crafts"
The analysis identified 13 distinct arts consumer segments among English adults. The percentages show the estimated proportion of English adults in each segment.
Highly engaged Urban arts eclectic3% Traditional culture vultures4%
Fun, fashion and friends16% Bedroom DJs2% Mature explorers11% Mid-life hobbyists4% Dinner and a show20% Retired arts and crafts4% Family and communityFocused9% Not Currently engaged Time-poor dreamers4% Older and home-bound11% A quiet pint with the match9% Limited means, nothing fancy3%
Why not have a read (it's not long) and:
- check out the audience likely to buy your art - and what they do, read, think, behave
- then work out what you are most like!
It certainly tells you something about where those you are most likely to buy your art might be looking for it! It also tells both B&M art galleries how they should be targeting their market segments
The report indicates that
There is more information
artists and arts organisations we have spoken to about this research so far have said that they might use it to:
- increase collective knowledge about how people in England engage with the arts – putting individual projects into context
- develop potential new strategies for increasing arts engagement and expanding audiences
- inform the marketing of existing arts opportunities
There is more information
If you want to know more about a particular segment, please go to www.artscouncil.org.uk/audienceinsight, where you can find:This is the link to the online quiz which tells you which group you actually belong to.
- online versions of the segment descriptions
- tables with more detailed Taking Part survey data on the segment’s sociodemographic profile, arts attendance and participation patterns and engagement with other cultural sectors and sport sectors
- suggestions on how this research might be used
- a technical note with further information on the analytical methodology
- a comprehensive question and answer section
- an online quiz where you can identify which segment you fall into