|A visit to the Courtauld Gallery last week|
Consequently "Who's made a mark this week" is currently suspended until after my publisher's deadline of 31 March. Posts are also a bit more intermittent than usual and/or reference "golden oldies" from the last 8 years - there's two compendiums listed below!
However I am also posting a lot more 'good art information' links on my Making A Mark Facebook Page. :)
What follows are the my blog posts since the beginning of the year for any of you may have missed some or are accustomed to reading them once a week.
- Where to sell art is the wrong question - a perspective on where and how to sell art - via galleries and online
- Most Revenue or Best Profit? What was the Best Place to sell Art in 2013? - Selling Art in 2013: Two polls to identify the places which made the most revenue and the most profit.
- What can artists claim as business expenses - for tax purposes? - A review of what can normally be claimed as business expenses by artists
- Ten More Tax Tips for Artists - A review of some more practical tips for artists doing their tax returns
- How can an artist find out who bought their painting? - A review of why it's very difficult to find out who bought an artist's painting
- Westminster consults on a Special Planning Policy to protect Art Galleries - Art Galleries in Mayfair & St James - Highlights Westminster City Council's invitation to comment on planning proposals
- Major Art Competitions in the UK in 2014 - List and overview of Major Art Competitions in UK in 2014 (ie £10k prize money or more)
- British Pathé film of Stanley Spencer - A video of British artist Sir Stanley Spencer in Cookham following his decision to return to exhibit at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1950 (following his resignation in 1935)
Call for Entries
- £15,000 Lynn Painter-Stainer Prize 2014 - deadline approaches - Overview of the Call for Entries for the Lynn Painter-Stainer Prize 2014 and review of past exhibitions and prizewinners
- RWS Contemporary Watercolour Open Competition 2014 & Associate Membership - Royal Watercolour Society 2014 - Open competition for non-members and application for election to members - commentary on processes
- David Shepherd's Wildlife Artist of the Year 2014 - deadline extended to 5th February - Summary of the Call for Entries for David Shepherd's Wildlife Artist of the Year 2014 - exhibition at Mall Galleries in June 2014 (now for reference only for next year)
- The 2nd Derwent Art Prize - Call for Entries - Call for Entries - an overview and commentary - plus review of last year re. selected artwork, prizewinners and exhibition for this art competition dedicated to pencil art
|Chrys Allen with her winning entry re. the Inaugural Derwent Art Prize in 2013|
- The Great British Paint-Off: BBC1 searches for best amateur artists - BBC1 searches for the best amateur artists in the UK to participate in a brand new competitive art series. This has been UPDATED for the definition of "amateur artist" for the purposes of the competition
- Society of Botanical Artists - Annual Exhibition 2014 - Call for Entries - Overview of the Call for and Conditions for Entries to the Annual Exhibition 2014
- UKCPS Open International Exhibition 2014: Call for Entries - Overview of the Call for Entries for the UK Coloured Pencil Society's Open International Exhibition - deadline 5th February 2014
- What's your favourite tip about drawing? - Favourite tips about drawing - three of mine and a request to hear about yours.
- Major Art Exhibitions in London in 2014 - My top ten listing of the new art exhibitions in London in 2014 - plus links to an overview of all major exhibitions in London in 2014.
- Sensing Spaces - pictures from an exhibition at the RA - A review of the Sensing Spaces exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London
- Drawings of Holocaust Survivors - A project to draw holocaust survivors and an associated exhibition - plus more about Holocaust Art
- Hockney, Printmaker - Preview (Part 1) - A film by Dulwich Picture Gallery previewing the "Hockney Printmaker" exhibition 5 February 2014 - 11 May 2014
- Hockney, Printmaker (Review #2) - The Etchings - first part of a review of the Hockney Printmaker exhibition at Dulwich Picture Gallery
- Photorealism - artists, an exhibition, a video and 71 photos - an overview of a retrospective exhibition of Photorealism - including links to the websites of leading artists participating in the exhibition (Richard Estes et al) and the exhibition
Making A Mark
- The Best Picture of 2013 on an Art Blog - Making A Mark Awards - announces 4 winners of the Best Picture categories and one overall winner of The Best Picture of 2013 on an Art Blog
- Making A Mark notches up 5 million Pageviews! - Overview of how the art blog Making A Mark achieved 5 million pageviews as at January 2014.
- A Compendium of Composition and Design - Resources for artists: A summary of makingamark posts about Composition and Design - plus links to two related websites
- A Compendium of Colour - Compendium of links to blog posts on this blog providing detailed information about colour - designed as a resource for artists. (This was a Making A Mark blog project in 2008)
- Do you think these are the sexiest works of art ever? - Critical comment on Jonathan Jones' list of 10 works of art purporting to be "the sexiest works of art ever"