What's your favourite tip about drawing that you always share?
Three of my tips about drawing
- Carry a sketchbook with you all the time and you will do a lot more drawing. There are lots of occasions when you can pull out a sketchbook for a quick sketch - plus it records your life as lived! (The sketch below was done while waiting to see the Consultant at the Dental Hospital last week!)
- When drawing in life class work out where the middle of the body is. That way I stand half a chance of filling the page but not having to crop the head or the feet!
- Use a battery eraser to draw as well as to erase. Drawing involves changing the surface and that can mean removing media as well as laying it down.
|The Queue at Reception at the Dental Hospital 7 January 2014|
pen and ink in Moleskine Sketchbook
Why I'm asking for your tips about drawing
My reason for asking about your favourite tips about drawing is that I've got my head down right now - writing the book about drawing and sketching that I've been commissioned to do. (see previous posts I've been asked to write a book.... and I'm writing the book this week)
The book has five different sections so I have five different files on the go as I try to meet the criteria for the number of topics, number of words, number of double page spreads and number of images. Flex any one of four to create a problem! ;)
At the moment, I'm working my way through trying to complete the text for double page spread after double page spread. I'm not a sequential writer - I tend to work pretty much as I draw. I start with sketching in the overall structure (the table of contents) - then start to pad that out (the flatplan) then start to add in content (sample double page spreads) and now I'm into the solid workload of actually producing text and images for 80 double page spreads! Plus editing down the first pass on the content.
The fact of the matter is I've got too many tips at the moment(!) and I need to start editing down - so I want to know which are your favourites tips about drawing to make sure these are the ones which don't get edited out!
The favourite ones are:
- the ones you always remember,
- the ones that made a big difference to how you draw and sketch
- the ones you always share and pass on to others
So - what's your favourite tip about drawing that you will always value and like to share?
To leave a comment click the link to the right of my name and date below.