This post is about the posts associated with a major project on composition and design at the beginning of 2008. It's particularly useful for those who like their art to be drawing or painting.
- Composition and Design - An Introduction 14 Jan 2008
- Composition - The Elements of Design 15 Jan 2008 - An overview of the Elements of Design which are Value, Colour, Shape, Form, Space, Line and Texture
- Composition - Principles of Design 16 Jan 2008 - This post focuses on balance, emphasis. harmony, movement, pattern, proportion, rhythm, unity and variety
- Composition and Design - A Digest #1 21 Jan 2008 - This post lists and provides a synopsis of books about composition or books which have helpful sections about composition.
- Composition and Design - finding and creating a focal point 24 Jan 2008 - This post is about how to create a focal point in a picture. It provides a synopsis of various approaches used by artists to find and create a focal point.
- Composition - the four most important lines 28 Jan 2008 - There are various views about how to crop a subject and a lot that can and has been said on this topic.
|How the "Rule of Thirds" approximates to "The Golden Mean"|
My diagram which compares "the golden mean" and "the rule of thirds"
plus identification of the 'sweet spot' area and how this can be used for the focal point
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
- Composition - thinking in threes 29 Jan 2008 - The 'rule of thirds' is an approximation of the 'golden ratio'. This post provides a diagram comparison - using algebra and numbers of
"the golden mean" and "the rule of thirds" plus identification of the 'sweet spot' area and how this can be used for the focal point
- Composition - using PS Elements to help with design This post is about using tools in Adobe Photoshop or PS Elements to help with your composition.
- Composition - why tonal values and contrast are important 06 Feb 2008 - Time and time again when entering a gallery, the painting which stands out from the crowd is the one which has a strong design and value pattern.
- Composition: a range of perspectives 29 Feb 2008
- The influence of Japanese Art 03 Mar 2008
- Principles of design and composition and ukiyo-e 12 Mar 2008
- Greg Albert - The Simple Secret to Better Painting 17 Jan 2008 The book I always recommend to people who want to learn more about composition and design is Greg Albert's "The simple secret to better painting"
- Mastering Composition - a recommended read 01 May 2008