- 1,223 entries came from the UK and
- 746 entries came from other countries (13 in total)
Below you can find the names of the Selected Artists. They're listed alphabetically by country - with UK countries first and then alphabetically by other countries. The title of the work, size and media used are also listed.
These artists will have their portrait paintings seen by some 250,000 people this summer.
There are links in the names to the artist's websites (where websites could be found easily). Some also have links to the portrait on their website. The country is the country of residence rather than the country of origin.
Aspiring artists should:
- check out the website portfolios of selected artists and
- note the standard of the websites - and note how many artists now have one! Some had both websites and blog.
- Paul Anthony Barker (b.1966) Alastair Campbell 'All In The Mind' 460 x 360 Oil Canvas
- David Caldwell (b.1977) Conversations 1590 x 1840 Oil board
- Freddy Clark (b.1989) Josh 415 x 340 oil board
- Saied Dai (b.1958) In Memory 660 x 510 Oil Linen on Panel
- BP PORTRAIT AWARD: SECOND PRIZE 2013 - John Devane (b.1954) The Uncertain Time 1720 x 2490 oil canvas
|John Devane, Winner of the 2nd Prize|
The Uncertain Time
1720 x 2490 oil canvas
This photo is to give you a sense of the scale. Look carefully at the dimensions of the listed paintings!
- BP PORTRAIT AWARD: FIRST PRIZE 2013 - Susanne du Toit (b.1955) Pieter 1080 x 830 Oil Canvas (see Suzanne de Toit wins £30,000 BP Portrait Award 2013)
- Clara Drummond (b.1977) Kirsty 430 x 330 Oil wood
- Richard Evans (b.1966) Turning point 540 x 440 Oil wooden board - this is a portrait of Emeli Sandé
- Mark Fairnington (b.1957) The Rose and the Bee 500 x 430 oil board (Do check out his website - it has some amazing paintings across various genre)
- Julie Held (b.1958) My Father : PEJ Held 1485 x 1980 acrylic canvas
- Lucy Jones (b.1955) The Shadow of Life 1800 x 1200 Oil canvas
- Greg Kapka (b.1985) Heterochrome 410 x 370 Oil wooden panel
- Alison Kelleher (b.1963) Untitled 300 x 200 oil board
- Sophie Levi (b.1966) Cliff 690 x 580 oil canvas
- Hynek Martinec (b.1980) Zuzana in London 1300 x 1090 Acrylic Canvas
|Hynec Martinec in front of |
Zuzana in London 1300 x 1090 Acrylic Canvas
At the press view artists sometimes get asked
to do some odd things by photographers....
Chomsky by Raoul Martinez
This is a portrait of Noam Chomsky
a very famous American Professor
who is a American linguist,
philosopher, cognitive scientist, logician,
historian, political critic,
- Raoul Martinez (b.1983) Chomsky 1420 x 720 Oil Canvas
- Benito Mayor (b.1981) Vallejo Bird's Eye View 1510 x 1800 Oil on Linen
- Stephen Murphy (b.1982) Diana, becoming 350 x 280 Oil Canvas (born in Ireland, lives in Cambridge)
- Tony Noble (b.1956) The Roadhouse Crew 1400 x 1660 Oil canvas
- Abe Odedina (b.1960) The Adoration of Frida 1570 x 1270 (x2) acrylic board
- BP Travel Award Winner 2012 - Sophie Ploeg (b.1974) Self Portrait with Lace Collar 390 x 330 oil birch panel ((born in Netherlands, lives in Gloucestershire)
- BP Travel Award Winner 2012 - Carl Randall (b.1975) Shinjuku, Tokyo 1060 x 2330 Oil canvas
- Laura Robertson (b.1968) Laura In January 640 x 465 Oil Canvas
- Jamie Routley (b.1982) On the inner dialogue of an artist 1230 x 1020 Oil Canvas Note: This painting has been chosen as one of the paintings to promote the exhibition in advertising and marketing material.
- Geert Schless (b.1983) Kristy 1040 x 685 oil wooden board
- TeriAnne Scoble (b.1959) Mrs. Damon and Mrs. Healey 530 x 785 Oil Canvas Click the link to read all about how the portrait came about.
- Lisa Stokes (b.1967) Self-Portrait with Clown Face 1530 x 1020 Oil and Graphite canvas
- Benjamin Sullivan (b.1977) Craig Eden 1040 x 540 oil canvas
- Alberto Torres Hernandez (b.1984) Vanessa Hodgkinson 305 x 295 Oil wooden board
|Agnes Toth with her painting of magician Drummond Money-Coutts|
Agnes is a fan of Making A Mark! I love the colour co-ordinated outfit.
|Rodney and Doreen Turvey (with Clara)|
- Now who would have expected a rabbit!
There again Simon is a wildlife artist
and a member of the SWLA!
My aim was to emphasise his strong personality and mesmerising character. I tripled the portrait and put it in a neutral space. The dynamics of the picture are provided by the motion of the hands as they play with the cards.
- Simon Turvey (b.1957) Rodney and Doreen Turvey (with Clara) 620 x 515 Oil Board
NORTHERN IRELAND (2)
- Ian Cumberland (b. 1983) Self portrait 2000 x 1390 oil linen
- Colin Davidson (b. 1968) Takami Horikoshi 1270 x 1170 oil linen
- Zahra Akbari Baseri (b. 1988) Power of a moment 505 x 410 Acrylic Canvas
- Ewan McClure Self-portrait (b. 1975) x 410 Oil Wooden board
with Das Berliner Zimmer
I tend to take photos of artists
while the chaps with the big lenses
are still setting up - and
that way I get a nice natural smile!
- Franny Golden (b. 1942) Wessel, as a work in progress 1680 x 1290 oil, pastel canvas
- BP YOUNG ARTIST AWARD 2013 - Owen Normand (b.1984) Das Berliner Zimmer (The Berlin room) 370 x 280 oil Wooden board
- Comhghall Casey (b.1976) Self Portrait as a Cyclist 660 x 560 Oil Canvas
- Miseon Lee (b.1959) My Diary No.5 750 x 1370 Oil Linen 15/02/1959
- E Blaise Smith (b.1967) The Home Economics Room 1290 x 1290 Oil Gesso Panel
| Self Portrait as a Cyclist by Comhghall Casey|
I really liked this one
- David Nipo (b.1964) Portrait of Ronald Fuhrer 1040 x 820 oil Linen mounted on board
- Daniela Astone (b. 1980) Self portrait 1710 x 1400 oil oil primed canvas
- Antonio Laglia (b. 1953) Cocorita 725 x 620 oil canvas Italy
- Daan ( van ) Doorn (b.1958) Philip Glass 1385 x 1740 oil polyester on board Note: This portrait is interesting because Philip Glass has also been a model for Chuck Close. His 1969 portrait is now in the Whitney and the large size of this painting echoes the size of Close's early hyperrealist work.
- Stanislav Buban (b. 1961) Portrait of the ex-member of Philharmonic Orchestra 400 x 400 oil canvas
SOUTH AFRICA (1)
- Lionel Smit Kholiswa (b.1982) 2300 x 1640 Oil Canvas Also chosen to promote the BP Portrait award in marketing materials and advertisements
- Daniel Gonzalez Coves (b.1985) Net no.10 1020 x 1020 Oil Cardboard
- Gonzalo Goytisolo (b.1966) Teresita in a coat 720 x 620 oil canvas
- Mark Giangaspero (b. 1963) Self portrait 355 x 320 oil wooden board
- Vincent Giarrano (b. 1960) Aureta Thomollari at Fashion Week – NYC 570 x 680 oil linen on panel
- Paul Oxborough (b. 1965) Ved Mehta 890 x 710 oil linen canvas
- HK Park (b. 1975) Portrait Sketch of Charles 790 x 640 oil canvas United States 17/05/1975
- Jennifer E. Renshaw (b. 1973) Portrait of Sean 330 x 390 Oil Wood Panel
|Entrance to the National Portrait Gallery.|
You can't miss the Exhibition Banners
or Jamie Routley's self portrait!
The most popular painting will be awarded the accolade of being the Visitors Choice.
The three most popular portraits will be available on the website from 9 September 2013.
BP Portrait Award 2013 on Making A Mark
- BP Portrait Award 2013: Call for Entries 04 Dec 2012
- BP Portrait Award 2013 - The Shortlist 23 April 2013
- Suzanne de Toit wins £30,000 BP Portrait Award 2013 18 June 2013 (This also contains links to blog posts about this art competition going back to 2007)