|RA Summer Exhibition 2013|
I'm also publishing today a new Page on this blog Major Art Exhibitions in London in 2013 - listed at the top - which is a listing of all exhibitions in the London in 2013.
The exhibitions highlighted are:
- major exhibitions in major art galleries and museums in LONDON - listed alphabetically. Links to the websites of each of the venues can be found in the name
- major art competition exhibitions - typically those which are listed in my page on Major UK Art Competitions in 2013
- major art society exhibitions
Major Art Galleries and Museums in the UKGreat Russell Street, London, WC1B 3DG
- Until 29 September 2013 Life and death in Pompeii and Herculaneum Advance booking essential (App for the Exhibition - for Apple and Android). Focused on the home and lives of the people who lived nearly 2000 years ago in Pompeii and Herculaneum - before they were buried in the ash from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius
Somerset House, Strand, London WC2R 0RN
The Haystacks, 1889 by Paul Gauguin
Oil on canvas, 92 x 73.3 cm
[Public domain] via Wikimedia Commons
- 20 June – 8 September 2013 Collecting Gauguin: Samuel Courtauld in the '20s. The Courtauld holds the UK’s most important collection of works by the Post-Impressionist master Paul Gauguin - which was assembled by pioneering collector Samuel Courtauld.
- 20 June - 21 July 2013 Imagining Islands: Artists and Escape A response to the above drawing on works from The Courtauld Gallery and the Arts Council Collection
Gallery Road, London, SE21 7AD
- 12 June - 22 September 2013 - A Crisis of Brilliance Nash, Nevinson, Spencer, Gertler, Carrington, Bomberg: A Crisis of Brilliance, 1908-1922. This summer exhibition in Dulwich with an emphasis on the first wave of BritArt! It brings together for the first time some of the best and most innovative works by influential artists from the early part of the 20th century - namely best and most innovative works by Paul Nash, C.R.W. Nevinson, Stanley Spencer, Mark Gertler, Dora Carrington and David Bomberg.
Trafalgar Square London WC2N 5DN
- Until 1 September 2013 - Birth of a Collection: Masterpieces from the Barber Institute of Fine Arts Admission free. Old Master paintings in the loan include works by Simone Martini, Giovanni Battista Cima da Conegliano, Frans Hals and Nicolas Poussin. From the 19th century are masterpieces by Joseph Mallord William Turner, Claude Monet and Edouard Manet.
- Until 24 November 2013 - Michael Landy: Saints Alive
- 26 June – 8 September 2013 - Vermeer and Music This is rather a novel exhibition. Three paintings by Vermeer involving the playing of musical instruments together with an exhibition of musical instruments and concerts three times a week.
St Martin’s Place, London WC2H 0HE
- Until 23 June 2013 - George Catlin - American Indian Portraits - see my review this next week. This is an amazing exhibition - quite unlike any I have ever seen before. - see my Review: George Catlin: American Indian Portraits
- 20 June to 15 September 2013 - BP Portrait Award One of my favourite exhibitions every year - and tremendously popular with the public. It's almost always has lots of visitors. The prizewinners will be announced next week.
|Shortlisted portrait: 'The Uncertain Time' |
1720 x 2490mm, oil on canvas
© John Devane
- 30 March until 1 November 2013 - Jacob Epstein: Portrait Sculptor (Room 33) Works on display include some of Epstein’s most celebrated portraits, notably his busts of Joseph Conrad, T.S Eliot, Vaughan Williams and George Bernard Shaw.
Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BD | 6 Burlington Gardens, London W1S 3ET
- 10 June - 18 August 2013 Summer Exhibition 2013 in the Main Galleries of Burlington House
I'm really looking forward to the Australia exhibition 21 September—8 December 2013 in the Main Galleries, Burlington House
Duke of York's HQ, King's Road, London SW3 4RY
- Until 28 March 2013 Breaking the Ice: Moscow Art 1960-80s
- Until 9 June 2013 Art from Russia - Gaiety is the most outstanding feature of the Soviet Union: new art from Russia Having read the reviews by Waldemar Januszczak and Andrew Graham Dixon it all looks a bit grim to me. Or as AGD puts it "this is the
bleakest of exhibitions for the bleak midwinter"
- 18 June - 29 September - Paper
- (no dates) - Richard Wilson 20:50
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB
- 11 May - 22 September 2013 Rory McEwen, The Colours of Reality showcases his botanical work and includes works from artists who influenced him. This is a "must see" for the botanical artists!
Millbank, London SW1P 4RG
|John Constable - Flatford Mill (‘Scene on a Navigable River’) 1816–17|
Tate - part of the new BP Walk through British Art
- Open every day BP Walk through British Art The brand NEW BP Walk through British Art offers a circuit of Tate Britain’s unparalleled collection from its beginnings to its end. This new development has tackled the thoroughly confusing way in which Tate Britain used to display and hang 500 years of British Art. Current indications are that the change is for the good. I'm waiting for new post-op glasses (so I can cope with the labels!) before I go so look out for a review next month. Meanwhile here's Brian Sewell on the new hang.
- Open every day Turner Collection Tate Britain houses the world’s largest collection of Turner’s work.
- Until August 2013 Basic Design This display explores the role that Basic Design – a new and radical approach to training in art schools – played in revolutionising art.
- 5 June – 1 September 2013 Gary Hume Part of the internationally celebrated group of ‘Young British Artists’ that studied at London’s Goldsmiths College in the late 1980s.
- 5 June – 1 September 2013 Patrick Caulfield Tate Britain presents a survey exhibition of the celebrated British painter, Patrick Caulfield (1936–2005).
- 26 June – 20 October 2013 Lowry and the Painting of Modern Life This is going to be a blockbuster exhibition.
Bankside, London SE1 9TG
- 17 April – 20 October 2013 Saloua Raouda Choucair The Lebanese pioneer of abstract art
- 1 May – 1 September 2013 - Ellen Gallagher: AxME one of the most acclaimed contemporary artists to have emerged from North America since the mid-1990s.
- 3 July – 22 September 2013 - Ibrahim El-Salahi: A Visionary Modernist The first Tate Modern exhibition dedicated to African Modernism traces the life and work of Ibrahim El-Salahi.
- 3 July – 22 September 2013 - Meschac Gaba: Museum of Contemporary African Art
Hertford House, Manchester Square, London W1U 3BN Open daily from 10am - 5pm
- 20 June - 15 September 2013 The Discovery of Paris: Watercolours by Early Nineteenth-Century British Artists Focusing on the period c. 1802-40 and featuring sixty watercolours including outstanding works by Turner, Girtin and Bonington, and other artists who are now less familiar, such as Thomas Shotter Boys and William Callow.
Art Society ExhibitionsI've also included exhibitions of note by member artists on related subjects and major art competitions at these galleries.
Also included are the events and workshops associated with the Art Society Exhibitions where these are posted on websites
48 Hopton Street, London, SE1 9JH Open daily 11am - 6pm during exhibitions
- 2 August - 8 September 2013 - Off the Wall - A joint summer exhibition by artists from the Royal Watercolour Society and Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers
The Mall, London SW1Y 5BD All exhibitions are 10:00am to 17:00pm daily unless otherwise stated
- 3- 8 Jane2013 The 6th Annual David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation Wildlife Artist of the Year Competition - see
- the Teaser Catalogue on Issuu
- Wildlife Artist of the Year 2013 - Call for Entries #1: David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation for details of what it is about.
- 10 - 22 June 2013 Pastel Society - Annual Exhibition. (closes 2pm on final day). The exhibition holds workshops in the gallery during the course of the exhibition. The run from 10.30am – 4.30pm and are listed below.
- 11 June - Movement and Colour Workshop - Eiko Yashimoto
- 12 June - Secrets of the Dust (Exploring the remarkable medium of pastel) - Tom Walker
- 13 June - Portrait Workshop - Caroline Bays
- 14 June - Caran d'Ache Workshop: From Sketchbook to Finished Work (with outside sketching weather permitting) - Jenny Halstead
- 15 June - Life Drawing for all abilities - Sue Relph
- 16 June - Exploring Colour and Composition with Pastels - Felicity House
- 18 June - Cityscapes and Pastels - John Tookey
- 19 June - Still Life with Flowers - Ann Wilkinson
- 20th June The Art Event 6pm to 8pm
- 27 June - 6 July 2013 Society of Women Artists - Annual Exhibition
- 15 - 20 July 2013 - Armed Forces Art Society - 79th Annual Exhibition
- 23 - 28 July 2013 - Guild of Aviation Artists - Annual Exhibition
- 5 - 10 August 2013 - Hesketh Hubbard - Annual Exhibition
Notes for Visitors to Art Exhibitions
See my websites about museums and art galleries in London
- Top 10 Art Galleries and Museums in the World in terms of the number of visitors
- The Top Ten Museums in London
- Making A Mark - Top 30 Art Galleries and Museums in the World in 2012 (2 April 2013)
- Making A Mark - The Best Cities for Top Art Galleries and Museums (2012)
- Making A Mark - Art Exhibitions in London: March - May 2013 24 Mar 2013
- Making A Mark - London Art Exhibitions - Autumn/Winter 2012 28 Nov 2012
Notes for Artists
ARTISTS & ART BLOGGERS(Solo or Group Exhibitions)
- Art bloggers should write to me with details and images as per How to highlight your exhibition - for artist bloggers ONLY
- Exhibitions notified to me by art galleries will only be included if I rate the work of the artist!
ART EXHIBITIONS - COMPETITIONS AND ART SOCIETIES
- major art competition exhibitions - the ones I cover are typically those which are listed in my page on Major UK Art Competitions in 2013
- major art society exhibitions Typically these are national level art societies rather than local ones. For the UK, these include Major UK Art Society Exhibitions in 2013