Friday, November 02, 2012

Who painted this? #2

Last week there was a lot of interest in Who painted this #1 - and the answer is at the end of this post.  Let's see how you all do with #2.

Who painted this? #2


Who painted this? #2 (and the rest!)

As you might expect, a lot of the paintings in this occasional series are going to be of subject matter I like by painters I like!

I'm expecting that some of you might guess the artist pretty quickly - but may struggle with the rest of the information required

If you want to play the game: the rules are:
  1. You need to leave your answer as a comment on this blog.  Howls of frustration can also be left.......
  2. In your comment, you must tell me ALL of the following:
    • the title of the artwork
    • the name of the artist
    • the date it was created
    • the media used
    • where it lives now
    • how you know all this eg how did you do your search (note 3 below)
  3. This is about using brains not technology - so please do not "cheat".  
    • PLEASE do NOT use any of the "image matching" technology which exists (eg Chrome or Tineye) - that's just plain lazy! My suspicions will be raised by those who appear to know the answer a bit too quickly!
    • You may use Google or any other search engine to search on WORDS in databases of images. 
  4. If you're not getting anywhere in the first 24 hours I'll leave a clue as a comment on the post.
The person who in my judgement is the first person to get to the answer by fair means will get a mention in my very popular weekly blog post - along with a link to their website or blog or both.

Who painted this #1 - the answer

For those who didn't check back the answer was Basket of Fruit by Caravaggio.  Websites differ as to its date - but somewhere between 1595 and 1602 would have been OK by me.

The person who guessed it first was Vivienne St Clair (A Painted Postcard).

10 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

John Singer Sargent?

Robyn Sinclair said...

Sorry, that was rather a short, rude comment. I got over excited because I knew last week's too (being my favourite Italian) and couldn't post a comment on my iPad. Grrrr..
Anyway, surprised and delighted I know this one. I saw it at a Singer Sargent exhibition in Venice a few years ago. It's called Gourds and painted around 1905-08 according to my catalogue.

David J Teter said...

I immediately recognize any John Singer Sargent watercolor and had seen this one many times.

"Gourds"
by John Singer Sargent
1905-1908
The Brooklyn Museum (special subscription fund)

I went right to a book I have on Sargent ("Sargent" by Carter Ratcliff) , I found it there eventually on pg 178, problem was I was looking for the title word "pears", not gourds, so I went back online to get the title, then back to the book to look it up... sheesh!

Florante Paghari-on said...

the title of the artwork ----- Gourds
the name of the artist ------ John Singer Sargent
the date it was created ----1908
the media used ------ Watercolor
where it lives now ----The Brooklyn Museum, New York
how you know all this eg how did you do your search (note 3 below) --- I used to collect digital images of John Sargent before and he moment I saw this I didn't think twice to google the John singer Sargent - Gourds.

Ilaria said...

Sargent ! Sorry am I spoiling the fun ?

Ilaria said...

Oh, I didn't read the rules... now I have to look for the book I used to have

Ilaria said...

Found it ! "Gourds" 1905/1908 at The Brooklyn Museum. I have an old Watson Guptil book ( published 1970). Sorry for multiple posts, I love this game-when I know the answer !

Bruce Ulrich said...

Gourds 1905-6 John Singer Sargent. watercolor, I recognized it as similar to a Portland,OR ptg. Looked in my Sargent watercolor book and it was the cover art.
Bruce Ulrich

noble said...

How do I know? I recognized it as a Sargent and knew the medium and with the magic of google (text of course) found its home at the Brooklyn Museum.

My website is http://artofnoble.com

John Singer Sargent (American, 1856-1925). Gourds, 1908. Transparent and opaque watercolor over graphite on white, thick, rough-textured, wove paper, 13 13/16 x 19 11/16 in. (35.1 x 50.0 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by Special Subscription, 09.822

Kathryn Hansen said...

wow...this doesn't look like his usual art...i love it tho!!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...