Monday, September 10, 2012

I went sketching instead!

Sir Winston Churchill's Studio at Chartwell
After a really dreadful year for rain, it's been sunny and warm this last week - which meant we've been getting out and about rather a lot.

Which is a roundabout way of saying there's no "Who's made a mark this week?" because yesterday we were at Chartwell.

You can see my sketch on Travels with aSketchbookView from the Chartwell swimming pool.

Above is a photograph of Sir Winston Churchill's studio - with that great big north facing window.

Today I've been at Tate Britain and tomorrow I'll be posting a review of the Pre-Raphaelites - Victorian Avant Garde exhibition. I'm just waiting for a catalogue to turn up!

8 comments:

Carolyn A. Pappas said...

I read a novel last year called Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt about Winston Churchill's struggle with depression. Mr Chartwell was an invisible black dog who harassed him and another main character. I never realized the connection that Chartwell is an actual place until now.

katy gilmore said...

Hi Katherine - I enjoyed seeing your sketch! We visited Chartwell in March, and I thought how wonderful it would be to sit down and make a drawing. I also loved seeing Churchill's study - those terrific windows and views - and the little stuffed animals as placeholders in the bookcases. Was a wonderful day trip from London.

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Yes - that's right - he likened his depression to a black dog.

Color Experts said...

Fantastic studio looking so cool design. I wish if i ware visit the studio !!

David J Teter said...

Katherine,
Yeah, you work hard... take the time to sketch, for yourself, once in a while. Nice sketch too.
Chartwell looks like a spectacular site. I love the view from the side with the walls.
Have you done any views of the estate itself?

Katherine Tyrrell said...

I have - from when we visited in July. I've just realised I haven't posted them!

Katherine Thomas said...

It's always better to just go sketching, I say!

Sue Pownall said...

I agree. Better to go sketching than sit in front of the computer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...