Sunday, June 17, 2012

17 June 2012 - Who's made a mark this week?


London from Greenwich Park (exhibited 1809) - JMW Turner 
oil on canvas, 902 x 1200 mm
Collection:  Tate Britain
I've been channelling Turner this week......

First there was Matthew Collings excellent programme about the River Thames of JMW Turner - see BBC4 - Turner's Thames - which is still available to watch again on iPlayer!

Then I started to research all the different places he lived next to or near the Thames - which turned out to be rather more than I thought.

.....and finally I started to channel Turner on my iPad - below is my version of London from Greenwich  - a view which is very familiar to me.  Don't adjust your glasses or screens - I'm afraid that the quality of the picture hasn't translated very well from my iPad.




Artists and Art Blogs


I'm not quite sure whether Hannah Freeman realised that June 2012 was going to be quite so wet - but she certainly made an apt choice for the Guardian's Reader's Art - June.   The topic is "Weather"!  Those who live in the UK may well crack a wry smile at this point!

Botanical


Drawing and Sketching
Landscape

Printmaking
Sculpture and Land Art
Flatware No.2 | 18 x 18 | oil on panel

© Neil Hollingsworth
Still Life
Wildlife and animals
Art Books

For all those who think they might be creating an art e-book in the future there are issues to do with what route you choose to publication.  Here are a couple of interesting posts by Joe Konrath on A Newbie's Guide to Publishing:

  • The Slippery Slope - or the role of Amazon in the book marketplace.  It's had 211 comments so far......
  • Joe's Letter to the DOJ is the contents of Joe Konrath's letter in which he argues that the agency model sucks and Amazon has actually encouraged competition not killed it.

Art Business & Marketing
Art Collectors & the Art economy
  • Why do wealthy people invest in art? is my review of a Barclays report called "Profit or Pleasure? Exploring the Motivations Behind Treasure Trends" in relation to art.  A survey suggests the reasons why wealthy people invest in art are much more to do with the emotional reasons rather than financial ones
  • Here's an article in the FT which lifts the shades on Fair selection panels: Behind the scenes
Art Competitions

Three posts from me this week about UK Art Competitions
  • Threadneedle Prize 2012: Analysis of entries / selected artists - this year's Threadneedle Prize will see three times more artists than last year exhibit many more artworks (153 works compared to 59 works in 2011).
  • Call for Entries: ING Discerning Eye 2012 This is the top art competition in the UK for people who like creating small works. The ING Discerning Eye Exhibition is created from small artworks selected by two art critics, two artists and two collectors from an open submission and invited artists.  However I do wonder whether all those submitting entries through the open competition are subsidising all the artists invited by the selectors to submit works. Surely the required ratio of open/invited ought to be more like 50:50? Especially as it's the open entry works which do so well in the sales!
  • Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012: Call for Entries You have until 9 July 2012 to submit entries for the £12,000 Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012.  Last year's exhibition was excellent.
This week I'll be at the National Portrait Gallery on Tuesday evening for the announcement of which of the four shortlisted artists has won the BP Portrait Award.  Then back again on Wednesday morning to photograph the exhibition and, if I remember to charge the battery, to film it too.

Art Exhibitions

Exhibitions in Europe
  • Hopper opened at Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum in Madrid last Tuesday and continues until 16 September.  Itcomprises a large selection of paintings by Edward Hopper and has been organised by the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and Réunion des Museés Nationaux de France - Grand Palais.  
The exhibition brings together the largest and most ambitious selection of works by the US artist ever to be shown in Europe, with loans from major museums and institutions including the MoMA and the Metropolitan Museum in New York, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the Addison Gallery of American Art, Andover, and the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, in addition to various private collections and with a particularly generous loan from the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
  • It will then travel to the Galleries Nationales at the Grand Palais in Paris.  Hopper in Paris will run from until  for an exhibition between 10 October 2012 and 28 January 2013
Exhibitions in the USA
Art Galleries
Art Education
Art Studio and Supplies
Techies
and finally

I call this a wind installation - it's mesmerising.

1 comment:

  1. Slightly off topic but your comments about channeling Turner promptd me. I am really starting to discover the benefits of the iPad as an artist. I dont want to learn fully fledged digital art, traditional art is enough of a challenge but I have recently discovered the iPad is great for Notan. I'm just learning about that too and foraged through some of your archives on the subject but its great on the iPad, just black and white in Inspire Pro. I also managed to blog from it during an art workshop in Italy just about every day for two weeks using Blogsy. I also used photos I had taken directly from the iPad and sometimes I emailed those taken on my phone and uploaded that way. Also I managed to download a gallery catalogue whilst in Florence for 1 euro by scanning the QR code. Unfortunatly it was all in Italian but I got the pictures and bought the book anyways. I love technology when it supports not thwarts! Just thought I would share with you. Keep up the good work Katherine, this blog is a fabulous resource.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.